Topic Sponsor
1987 - 1996 F150 Still running strong! Talk about your 8th and 9th generation Ford F150 trucks.

JET piggy back programmers modules

Search this Thread

Old 09-03-2009, 08:57 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Default JET piggy back programmers modules

has anyone used this or heard about the results. seems to be the only chip i can find for my truck. any info would be helpful. and if its crap has anyone used a megasquirt ecu.
Old 09-03-2009, 10:46 PM
Springer Spaniels Rule

Received 17 Likes on 16 Posts

The problem with chips is you need all of the other stuff to get any noticeable difference like exh, filter, and all of the other goodies, chips or tuners really only work noticeably on Diesels with no other mods.
Old 09-04-2009, 01:09 AM

my mods are in my sig
Old 09-04-2009, 05:12 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by dirtcrew51m
The problem with chips is you need all of the other stuff to get any noticeable difference like exh, filter, and all of the other goodies, chips or tuners really only work noticeably on Diesels with no other mods.
WRONG!! On NA cars/trucks yes you will need supporting mods to get the most out of a tune. FI cars/trucks can be completely stock and see a HUGE difference.
Old 09-04-2009, 11:34 AM

Originally Posted by StealthWyvern
WRONG!! On NA cars/trucks yes you will need supporting mods to get the most out of a tune. FI cars/trucks can be completely stock and see a HUGE difference.
Most Fuel Injected (FI) cars are Naturally Aspirated (NA), unless you mean forced inducted which a computer chip will not give you much performance on a gas engine. Diesel the chip adds more fuel to the engine creating more power but with the probability that you will end up melting your pistons.
Old 09-04-2009, 12:25 PM

Chips are good at unleashing potential that the normal computer might have kept bottled on a stock engine. On setups that are massively restricted from the factory, you'll see a huge difference.

Example: My 86 BMW. Factory rev limit was 4,200, with a chip the rev limit was moved up to 7K. Definitely a big difference in performance, but not so much in horse power. Most of the gains are from removing limiters than the timing advance the chip brings. In other words, if I was putting out 120 whp at 4,200 rpm before the chip, I'm probably putting out 122 now. BUT, with the chip I can push the engine to 6,500 where I'm putting out around 140 whp.

Long example...sorry. Point is, if you're running a heavily governed engine, a chip can unleash some potential. These trucks, however aren't that heavily governed. On a 5.0, you would probably see some small gains, but like others said, not much. I think smaller engines tend to see bigger gains.

Megasquirt kicks ***. Serious ***. All up and down the street. Not just because it's affordable, but also because it's easy to use (you with laptop, buddy #1 driving, buddy #2 watching for cops) and super easy to upgrade. You can add on distributorless ignitions and waste spark systems just by plugging them in. If you do decide to get a MS system you'll also want to get a wideband O2 sensor and a stimulator (insert joke here using the words truck and stimulator).

OK, tangent over....strong coffee this morning. Chips are OK, but you probably won't see too much gain. If you're thinking abt MS and feel confident enough to tackle splicing the 10+ wires it takes, then go for it.
Old 09-04-2009, 01:08 PM

does anyone got a setup for our trucks on the MS
Old 09-05-2009, 01:09 AM

If you're looking for info specific to these years of truck, these guys have a good write up. http://www.diyautotune.com/tech_arti...IV_adapter.htm
Old 09-05-2009, 06:51 AM

Originally Posted by mitchalvin
Most Fuel Injected (FI) cars are Naturally Aspirated (NA), unless you mean forced inducted which a computer chip will not give you much performance on a gas engine. Diesel the chip adds more fuel to the engine creating more power but with the probability that you will end up melting your pistons.
I was talking NA(natrurally Aspirated) and FI(forced induction).... I have a tuner in my mazda and just by trimming the fuel trim(runs pig rich) and timing has been proven to produce 45fwhp on a gas 2L engine only pushing a small 6psi.

Quick Reply: JET piggy back programmers modules