Topic Sponsor
1987 - 1996 F150 Still running strong! Talk about your 8th and 9th generation Ford F150 trucks.

Fule tank problem!

Search this Thread

Old 01-05-2012, 06:24 PM

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts

Default Fule tank problem!

My 95 flair side has a problem with the front tank I think. When I run the front tank while driving it starts to hesitate and sputter like it's trying to stall has no power and it just sucks ! When I run the rear it's fine like driving a deferent truck. Thinking it might be the fuel pump Or maybe a filter. Do the 95s have two filters or just the one. Oh yea it's a 4.9l. Thanks !
Old 01-05-2012, 08:25 PM
Andrew

Received 9 Likes on 8 Posts

Originally Posted by shoudust
My 95 flair side has a problem with the front tank I think. When I run the front tank while driving it starts to hesitate and sputter like it's trying to stall has no power and it just sucks ! When I run the rear it's fine like driving a deferent truck. Thinking it might be the fuel pump Or maybe a filter. Do the 95s have two filters or just the one. Oh yea it's a 4.9l. Thanks !
Sounds like the fuel pump. Had this exact problem a good while ago.

When you change the pump, or whoever you get to change the pump for you, make sure you check inside the fuel tank! I had a pump replaced that was dead, and then a few months later, the new one went kaput! The krud in the bottom of the tank had killed the new one. If theres no rust or crud, then its fine, otherwise you may want to get a different tank to save some trouble in the future!

I would go ahead and replace the fuel filter while youre at it!
Old 01-05-2012, 09:16 PM

Thanks for the great news!lol that's what I was thinking to, hopping it's not nut pretty sure it is, I was planning on changing the filter if when I have to change the pump, if the tank is bad I was thinking of getting a bigger rear tank and just stay with one not sure. But thanks for the input!
Old 01-05-2012, 09:38 PM
Andrew

Received 9 Likes on 8 Posts

No problem! Ive put 24,000 problem free on my new tanks and pumps!

What you described fit exactly what I had to a T! When I would hit the gas to accelerate it would sputter and sometimes go, and occasionally die. Worked fine on the other tank though!
Old 01-05-2012, 09:43 PM

Yup that's exactly what mine is doing guess I'll have to run it as long as I can on that pump, just filled up!
Old 01-08-2012, 02:22 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

My 95 F150 does the same thing on the front tank but only when the weather is cooler, during the summer time when temperatures are 80-100+, the front rank works fine, other then getting 1-2 miles per galon worse then the rear tank. I think the seal on top of the tank has cracks from drying out, so when the weathers cold the gaps get bigger and its letting air into the tank and not creating a seal, but when the weathers hot i think those cracks close up by the rubber expanding from the heat and the front tank runs fine. Thats why i dont think its a bad fuel pump
Old 01-08-2012, 02:31 PM

It's weird now after running it for a couple of days on the hiway it seems to be ok still hesitates and bucks around town but not like it was, and it's harder than anything to try to start the truck with the front tank but with the rear fires right up like it was new?
Old 01-08-2012, 03:27 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Thats how mine is, once its up to speed its fine, it gets the hesitation under acceleration. Same with the start up as well, rear tank starts great, front tank has to grind it longer and then it sputters
Old 01-08-2012, 04:04 PM

Received 17 Likes on 17 Posts

I've been having an intermittant hesitation on my front pump for about six months but most of the time its fine. I like having two tanks and fuel pumps versus one just in case, on my old single tank, the pump died in February, not fun in New England.
There is only one filter for both tanks and red1994ford's advice about cleaning out the tank when replacing the pump is sound but seldom followed.
regards
rikard

Quick Reply: Fule tank problem!