Topic Sponsor
1987 - 1996 F150 Still running strong! Talk about your 8th and 9th generation Ford F150 trucks.

Fuel Problems after Fuel Reservoir Dissasembly

Search this Thread

Old 11-17-2013, 07:29 PM
Dailydriving300ci-of-fury

Received 30 Likes on 25 Posts

Default Fuel Problems after Fuel Reservoir Dissasembly

Alright fellas and gals. I thought it'd be a bright idea to take my fuel supply reservoir off the truck, pull it apart, clean it, and throw it back on the truck. I did this cause my front pump has been buzzing like crazy and I figured, what the hay, its not gonna cost me anything, just take it apart, clean it, and throw it back together. WELLL, now the truck isnt running for longer than 5 seconds at a time. Sometimes wont even start.
My initial test was to pull the lines off the front of the fuel supply reservoir to see if fuel was shooting out. Got my pops to switch the key on aaand...nothing. I assume I'm correct in my thinking that fuel would have to "shoot" out of the exit side of the reservoir, correct?
My next test was taking the lines off the entrance side of the reservoir. Fuel was just kinda trickling out initially. Got my dad to turn over the key again and the fuel still trickles out at the same rate.
So, do I need to only pull one line on either side to get a more "accurate" test? Or can any of you guys give me a suggestion on what you might think my problem could be?
I kinda think its my rear in-tank pump. The front high pressure pump has been whining for a while and since I cleared out the reservoir, it might have increased the amount of volume required to pressurize the system. I'm gonna check the fuel pressure tomorrow. It started raining on me
Old 11-17-2013, 07:33 PM
We'd do it

Received 449 Likes on 402 Posts

If the high pressure pump has been whining then it hasn't been getting enough fuel. Should be more than a trickle coming from the feed line.
Old 11-17-2013, 07:49 PM

Originally Posted by Just call me Sean
If the high pressure pump has been whining then it hasn't been getting enough fuel. Should be more than a trickle coming from the feed line.
So even if I pull both lines off the side of the reservoir that's facing the rear of the truck and turn the key over, it should somewhat spray/spit out/shoot? The trickle is pretty steady, but what makes me confused is that the key is not even turned over when it's trickling out, and the truck is facing up hill (somewhat). But again, the amount of trickle doesn't even change when the key is turned over.
Old 11-17-2013, 07:55 PM
We'd do it

Received 449 Likes on 402 Posts

Trickle implies that it gets no distance, just dribbles out. It should spray out somewhat, but it is low pressure so it isn't going to reach far.
Old 11-17-2013, 08:00 PM

Originally Posted by Just call me Sean
Trickle implies that it gets no distance, just dribbles out. It should spray out somewhat, but it is low pressure so it isn't going to reach far.
Awesome. Thanks Sean. I was kind of hoping you'd find this thread first :p I'm gonna check my fuel pressure and probably go ahead and pick up a rear pump.
Old 11-20-2013, 12:02 AM

Wellll. Think I found my problem. Couple kinked fuel lines. I'm surprised the durn thing was still running. I guess depressurization of the fuel system did it in. Guess I should go ahead and get a new high pressure frame pump. I think I starved it enough for it to be untrustworthy. Fuel tank looks a tad rusty too. Might go ahead and get a bigger fuel tank while im at it.
Attached Thumbnails Fuel Problems after Fuel Reservoir Dissasembly-image-2564719773.jpg   Fuel Problems after Fuel Reservoir Dissasembly-image-1544979721.jpg   Fuel Problems after Fuel Reservoir Dissasembly-image-1223083290.jpg   Fuel Problems after Fuel Reservoir Dissasembly-image-3296327209.jpg  

Quick Reply: Fuel Problems after Fuel Reservoir Dissasembly