Topic Sponsor
1987 - 1996 F150 Still running strong! Talk about your 8th and 9th generation Ford F150 trucks.

Fouled spark plug...what does it mean?

Search this Thread

Old 10-27-2010, 12:05 PM

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts
Default Fouled spark plug...what does it mean?

hey I was changing my spark plugs today and some of them had some white residue on the diodes. I think thats normal, or could be from putting seafoam and injector cleaner through it a couple times, right? Number six in the back though was pretty nasty looking. Why is this one such a mess and what does it mean? Last time it wasn't so bad.
Attached Thumbnails Fouled spark plug...what does it mean?-pict0003.jpg   Fouled spark plug...what does it mean?-pict0005.jpg  
Old 10-27-2010, 12:34 PM
We'd do it

Received 448 Likes on 402 Posts

Right from the book:

Ash deposits

Symptoms: Light brown deposits encrusted on the side or center electrodes or both. Derived from oil and/or fuel additives. Excessive amounts may mask the spark, causing misfiring and hesitation during acceleration.

Recommendation: If excessive deposits accumulate over a short time or low mileage, install new valve guide seals to prevent oil from seeping into the combustion chambers. Also try changing gasoline brands.

Yes it could be from the Seafoam or injector cleaners.
Old 10-27-2010, 12:45 PM

Thanks! I seafoamed it twice and ran countless bottles of injector cleaner through it so I'm going to hope its just that.
Old 10-27-2010, 12:53 PM

Received 1,162 Likes on 647 Posts

Additive related. Could be your application method, in addition to a large amount of residues & buildup it was contending with. That will cause missing. You want to increase loads/rpm's when using that stuff to burn off that crap.

That low volatility sludge de-solved & transfered rather than burning off otherwise. Blown onto the plug like Christmas tree flocking.

I'd clean em, check gap, & ..........first tell me me exactly how you did the Seafoam. This will occur also if used on an engine not pre-warmed to op. temp first, & Seafoam applications too close together.

What fuel additive?

Last edited by ymeski56; 10-27-2010 at 01:13 PM.
Old 10-27-2010, 10:03 PM

My seafoam method was as follows:

(I'm not positive, but I think I warmed the truck up first, but maybe not long enough)

-turned the truck on, slowly poured about 1/3 can into the brake booster vacuum line
-poured 1/3 into the crank case
-poured 1/3 into the front tank which was pretty low.

The truck didnt stall out so I let it run for like 2 minutes after this and then shut it down for 15 minutes. Then I drove it on a nice scenic county road for about 20 minutes and changed the oil. Oil looked really black. No smoke ever came out of the exhaust...just a little white whispy stuff.

Prior to seafoam Id tried the in the tank injector cleaner probably 5 times in the preceeding 5000 miles...the stp kind, the gumout kind, and i think the 2x gumout kind...always on a low tank.

The truck seemed to run a lot better at first after the seafoam, but kinda regressed back abit in the following 2500 miles (just changed the oil today since i needed a new drain plug gasket and it was leaking a lot out anyway).
Old 10-27-2010, 10:32 PM

So that's how your plugs got that way!!!

Originally Posted by Pine Barron
My seafoam method was as follows: FAIL

(I'm not positive, but I think I warmed the truck up first, but maybe not long enough)
VERY IMPORTANT to be pre-warmed to operating temperature!!!
-turned the truck on, slowly poured about 1/3 can into the brake booster vacuum line
Pour faster, close to causing a stall!!
-poured 1/3 into the crank case
-poured 1/3 into the front tank which was pretty low.
If you do it again soon, skip adding to oil.
The truck didnt stall out so I let it run for like 2 minutes after this and then shut it down for 15 minutes. Then I drove it on a nice scenic county road for about 20 minutes and changed the oil. Oil looked really black. No smoke ever came out of the exhaust...just a little white whispy stuff.
If it doesn't stall, shut it down immediately after the 1/3 goes in.
Wait 15-20 minutes, restart, rev it up, allow drop to idle & repeat rev up's til the majority of smoke stops. (rev up means put your foot in it!!)
Then take it on a nice hard drive. (did I mention "hard"?)

Prior to seafoam Id tried the in the tank injector cleaner probably 5 times in the preceeding 5000 miles...the stp kind, the gumout kind, and i think the 2x gumout kind...always on a low tank.
No Gumout!! Use "Lucas upper cylinder lubricant/ injector cleaner"!
The truck seemed to run a lot better at first after the seafoam, but kinda regressed back abit in the following 2500 miles (just changed the oil today since i needed a new drain plug gasket and it was leaking a lot out anyway).

Last edited by ymeski56; 10-27-2010 at 10:40 PM.
Old 10-27-2010, 10:37 PM

Hahaha thanks. I'm slowly getting learned.
Old 10-27-2010, 10:43 PM

Originally Posted by Pine Barron
Hahaha thanks. I'm slowly getting learned.
You'll be a "Seafoam" pro in no time!
(great pics!)

Quick Reply: Fouled spark plug...what does it mean?