Topic Sponsor
1987 - 1996 F150 Still running strong! Talk about your 8th and 9th generation Ford F150 trucks.

Engine Cranks bu doesn't start

Search this Thread

Old 10-19-2009, 01:02 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Default Engine Cranks bu doesn't start

Starter is working, rolls the engine over however it doesn't catch. Replaced fuel filter, both pumps work, I can hear them priming. Checked the inertia switch and its in the red, the right position. Backing out of my driveway and went over a bump and the engine just died. Main bearings may be shot on the engine...have low oil pressure when at idle after the engine has warmed up. Any ideas? Im going to take the distributor off later and make sure it's not the timing belt.
Old 10-19-2009, 01:16 PM

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

at first check for spark with spare ignition plug, then ignition timing. Low oil pressure is not a good sign, but it should not affect engine starting as far as it cranks.
Old 10-19-2009, 03:43 PM

Do you think the bump could have shifted the distributor? Im going to throw some starter fluid into it tomorrow to see what happens. Hopefully nothing with the fuel, don't feel like replacing those parts. It has new cap, wires and plugs as of 1500KM ago.
Old 10-19-2009, 04:09 PM

Honestly - you're right, i don't think it might shift the distributor. It's just my regular algorithm of searching "why not starting" issues. First check fuel, then spark and timing. I know it sounds basic, but it always works for me. I thought that since your pumps are priming and there's no noticeable fuel spot under the truck the engine is getting fuel (you'd mention it, right?). And some wire could get loosened after a bump, which may result in loss of spark.
Old 10-19-2009, 06:03 PM

Right on man, definitely see were you're coming from on this, sorry if that sounded crass. Haven't even looked for the wires yet, I just kinda swore a bunch of times and got my buddies to push it into the driveway, kicked the tire and left it until I threw the new fuel filter in...which of course didn't do anything. I haven't had the time to actually start eliminating stuff...Which is exactly what I need to do right about now.

I was honestly hoping that someone would have that magical answer that would solve it without me having to buy anything else...but I know how bloody likely that is. Cheers for the help!
Old 10-19-2009, 06:21 PM

Received 27 Likes on 25 Posts

Am confused, hear the pumps but inertia switch is in the red. What does that mean? To me, the bump tripped the switch and is showing red. But with the switch tripped, you won't hear the pumps running for there 2-3 second on time.
Old 10-19-2009, 06:40 PM

I was just saying I checked that. According to the Haynes it is supposed to be down and when tripped it is in the up position, and you can no longer see the red button.

*edit* again, sorry if that sounded rude. Totally not intended, any input is definitely appreciated!

Last edited by Talmbla; 10-19-2009 at 07:10 PM.
Old 10-19-2009, 07:17 PM

btw - just thought about "Russian way" to check for fuel presence. There's a fuel pressure test valve on fuel ramp, after pump has primed push it with a small screwdriver (don't forget to put on protective glasses). It's not safe cause fuel is under pressure and it always wants to spray directly into eyes, but it will show if fuel is reaching engine.
Old 10-19-2009, 08:05 PM

Originally Posted by Fast Hampster
btw - just thought about "Russian way" to check for fuel presence. There's a fuel pressure test valve on fuel ramp, after pump has primed push it with a small screwdriver (don't forget to put on protective glasses). It's not safe cause fuel is under pressure and it always wants to spray directly into eyes, but it will show if fuel is reaching engine.
I'll be trying this tomorrow...I believe there are quite a few other words to describe what you consider "russian" Not all of them being in line with the terms of service with this site

And btw, heres a shot of big white as she is known right now...to come when it warms up is a tremclad roller job (I swear it will look good!)

Last edited by Talmbla; 10-19-2009 at 08:08 PM.
Old 10-19-2009, 10:07 PM

Received 27 Likes on 25 Posts

Rude? Don't even know what the word means. Fast Hampster (Hamm) and I went months appologizing to each other for the lost meaning in typed words. As Hamm said, check for fuel at the schraeder valve, if there, check for spark, if there listen for the injectors to click. If clicking, babe, you might just have some serious problems, Get back to us. Hey Hamm, received your PM, just to busy being retired to respond, talk more later.

Quick Reply: Engine Cranks bu doesn't start