Topic Sponsor
1987 - 1996 F150 Still running strong! Talk about your 8th and 9th generation Ford F150 trucks.

Electrical question

Search this Thread

Old 10-16-2009, 02:35 PM

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Question Electrical question

Does anyone have a wiring schematic for tail lights? Or may be someone can explain how that thing works? I have to do something about rear turn signals being red. I have one bulb with 2 needles for rear brake/turn/drive lights.
Old 10-16-2009, 02:39 PM
We'd do it

Received 448 Likes on 402 Posts

What are you trying to do? Are you switching to European lighting, which requires amber turn signals?
Old 10-16-2009, 02:52 PM

It's exactly what I'm trying to do - red blinkers are becoming illegal in here. I couldn't find a place to buy some lights with amber turn signals. I guess that it's because only 1 bulb is used for everything. Therefore I have to try to "split" it to different bulbs, and may be simply add some amber lights if I will not find a replacement tail lights which would fit by dimensions.
Old 10-16-2009, 03:15 PM
We'd do it

Received 448 Likes on 402 Posts

There might be an aftermarket lens with separate amber lenses, but you still need to wire it. '80-'96 fits our trucks so there should be a decent selection. As far as wiring, one way is to get the European trailer wiring kit and wire it in backwards. The kit is a little box that converts separate amber and red bulbs to combined function red bulbs for a trailer. If you want to wire it yourself you will be running wires from the steering column to the new amber lens location. The better way will be to wire it yourself because I hate those converter boxes. The multi function switch is the turn signal switch, everything you need is there. Lt green is brake switch in and will be connected to lt green/orange and orange/lt blue which go to the brake lights. You will be bypassing the switch. Now the lt green/orange wire from the switch that you just cut will be left rear amber and orange/lt blue will be right rear amber so run wires from there to the lens locations. Tape off the other wire from the switch that was cut. Wired this way the multi function switch will take care of all the hazard and blinker functions through the amber lenses and you just took the extra brake function from it, wiring directly to the red lenses.

You follow?
Old 10-17-2009, 02:42 PM

I will follow (wires) tomorrow as I'll get under the truck again Seriously - thank you, now I seem to understand how it works.

Quick Reply: Electrical question