Topic Sponsor
1987 - 1996 F150 Still running strong! Talk about your 8th and 9th generation Ford F150 trucks.

Aww crap :(

Search this Thread

Old 09-12-2011, 05:18 PM

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post
Default Aww crap :(

Well, after driving around a few days ago I come home to coolant POURING out from under my truck. It was all over the transmission bell-housing, running along the sides of the oilpan and dripping down on and burning on my Y-pipe.

Under the hood I see this:

It was dripping down onto my harmonic balancer and going under the motor from there. I cant figure out where the coolant is coming from. The waterpump and all the hoses are brand new and pretty damn tight.

Anyone have ANY clue where this coolant is coming from before I rip the whole motor apart? Im scared it's a headgasket, but I've heard it may be my waterpump leaking (even though its brand new) or my timing cover?

Any help would be greatly appreciated. I just got a new job and I'm stranded now.

Last edited by kaidotech; 09-12-2011 at 07:27 PM.
Old 09-12-2011, 05:57 PM

Received 212 Likes on 192 Posts

Eh, if you just changed the hoses - suggest to give them a really good once-over before - go for the easy stuff first.

I had a leak between the timing cover and the intake manifold. Found it by drying everything out and watching for where the leak was coming from.

Good luck, and keep us posted.
Old 09-12-2011, 06:55 PM
lost my Car again...

Received 41 Likes on 41 Posts

well one way to check for a leak is to get the truck running for a bit to get some pressure in the hoses then get out and give the hose a squeeze and look for new coolant dripping out. i found my water inlet was leaking due to the gasket.

WARNING: if its running long it will be hot to the touch.
Old 09-12-2011, 07:27 PM

just realized I said fuelpump, meant waterpump.
Old 09-12-2011, 08:15 PM
November 2011 TOTM Winner

Received 73 Likes on 71 Posts

If you had no leak before the waterpump change and have a leak now, I would start checkin around the waterpump. Second thought, just pull the engine apart.
Old 09-13-2011, 03:01 PM

I bought a timing gasket kit that includes the water pump, timing cover and oilpan front gaskets. Me and a few of the members of our truck club are going to tear down the front. Hopefully my intake manifold isnt leaking coolant which someone told me last night it may be, otherwise we'll be removing that too.

Fingers grossed that it isnt head gaskets. I dont want to deal with that.

Does anyone have any experience or advice for removing the timing cover, intake or heads?
Old 09-13-2011, 04:54 PM
We'd do it

Received 449 Likes on 402 Posts

I doubt it's the head gasket. Check the throttle body coolant lines.

Quick Reply: Aww crap :(