Topic Sponsor
1987 - 1996 F150 Still running strong! Talk about your 8th and 9th generation Ford F150 trucks.

96 f150 fuel problem....

Search this Thread

Old 05-20-2009, 04:22 PM
ford newb

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default 96 f150 fuel problem....

sorry if this is a common problem but i searched and read through a bunch of threads with out much luck.

1996 Ford F-159 two wheel drive, slant 6 motor.... 133,000 miles. dual gas tanks.

bought it cheap as a work truck/haul my motorcycles truck... the guy said its been sitting for a couple years but runs and drives fine, he said he'd start it every now and then and let it run.

anyways...
i put in a new battery, new spark plugs, fuel filter and replaced some vacuum line.

cranks great.... and will fire up for a few seconds with starter fluid, just wont run,

i've been reading and i guess you should hear the fuel pump pressurize the system for a few seconds when you turn the key but before you crank.... i dont get any noise at all... from either tank....

anyone got any clues on what to check.... (obviously checked all the fuses inside and under hood, checked wiring, both tanks have gas, also checked the collision switch in the passengers kicker panel and its good)

thanks in advance for any advice....

Last edited by fastjetta97; 05-20-2009 at 04:27 PM.
Old 05-20-2009, 04:31 PM

I know the in-tank fuel pumps have been an issue, they like to go out and with the check valve out of commission there's cross filling. But since they're both out its may be something else. Stick around there's pros on the board.
Old 05-20-2009, 05:35 PM

From my experience with a 1994 inline 6...

The ignition control module, located on a heatsink on the drivers fender, controls the fuel pump (some models locate it on the distributor). There is actually a way to, take the conector off the module, and ground one of the terminals. The fuel pump will then turn on continuously. There is also a relay a fuse in the electrical box on the same fender that controls the fuel pump.
Old 05-20-2009, 10:59 PM
ford newb

well that sucks then if it is that ignition coil cause i pulled off the truck bed so i can replace the fuel pumps.... dang it....

well either way.... i will mess with that ignition control in the morning and post any results..... do you know what terminal exactly needs to be grounded to do this....?
Old 05-21-2009, 01:29 AM
We'd do it

Received 449 Likes on 402 Posts

The ICM does not control the fuel pump on a '94 or '96. On the '94 you ground a terminal on the diagnostic connector to make the fuel pump run continuously, I don't know how on the '96 other than hotwire the pump.

To hotwire the fuel pump find the fuel pump relay, which should be close to the air box under the hood. Find the green/yellow wire and put battery positive to it.

By the way, slant 6 is a Dodge engine. The Ford is a straight 6.
Old 05-21-2009, 11:22 AM
ford newb

hahaha, thats sean, yeah this is my first ford ever and so far im not to excited about it, LOL.

yeah im going out right now to start messing around with it, with the bed off it should be a lot easier to diagnose the problem and especially fix it.....

i will post some pics just for fun here in a bit....

EDIT: been messing with it... i have power at the pump relay but not at the pumps..... where could the power be disappearing between the relay and the pump.... i have traded the relay out twice with other relays and still nothing....'

Edit: also all my connections at the firewall are good, and going into the control box/ecu under the dash... no fried or bent connectors..... still no luck though...

Last edited by fastjetta97; 05-21-2009 at 03:13 PM.
Old 05-21-2009, 10:01 PM
We'd do it

Received 449 Likes on 402 Posts

The green/yellow wire at the relay should have power out when the key is first turned on. It only has power for a few seconds at first until the truck is running.
Old 05-22-2009, 02:26 AM
ford newb

i have checked everything....

this truck is killin me... hahaha... i have even had mechanic buddies come once over the truck with me as well and no one can point me in any direction that helps....

have power at the relay.... power at the fuel tank switch...
NO power at the pumps still...

tried jumping the pumps cant get either one to go....
Old 05-22-2009, 07:16 AM

Originally Posted by fastjetta97
i have checked everything....

this truck is killin me... hahaha... i have even had mechanic buddies come once over the truck with me as well and no one can point me in any direction that helps....

have power at the relay.... power at the fuel tank switch...
NO power at the pumps still...

tried jumping the pumps cant get either one to go....
How are you jumping the pumps?

Originally Posted by USMCord1
Guess what guys! Yup it starts. I owe all of you a big thanks especially David58 talking it through on the phone really helped.

What it was was the R/Y wire coming from the inertia switch leads to the dash, behind the dash since there is no tank switch, it jumps to a red wire, so I jumped it from the R/Y wire to the R wire and she cranked right up. The BLK/O spade that was dead is now Hot! My wife snuck up behind me and screamed YEAAAAA and she startled, ok scared me. So now I get to put the dash together, tighten up all the loose ends and will be good to go.

One thing I have learned schematics sources online suck.

All of you thanks for hanging in there and kept giving ideas, not all worked but did help the thought process to finally get this right.

Oh and I apologize for my wiring and location ignorance.
Since you have a switch for the pumps check the switch.
Old 05-22-2009, 02:15 PM

Received 27 Likes on 25 Posts

Inertia switch OK?

Quick Reply: 96 f150 fuel problem....