Topic Sponsor
1987 - 1996 F150 Still running strong! Talk about your 8th and 9th generation Ford F150 trucks.

'91 5.0 Will Not Start

Search this Thread

Old 09-03-2011, 08:38 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default '91 5.0 Will Not Start

The engine's turning over but just not catching. If I recall correctly, this seems to happen when it's been raining. And, with Tropical Storm Lee in the neighborhood it's been raining all day and forecasted to rain all day tomorrow.

What's going on?
Old 09-03-2011, 09:10 PM

If it won't start, now would be a good time to check fuel and spark since this is an intermittent issue. Pull off a spark plug wire off the engine, grab any spark plug laying around to put in it's place and ground it to the engine block. Check the rubber inserts and any sign of corrosion on wire harness connectors of the ignition system. Sometimes terminals with high continuity rear their ugly heads, under moisture laden environments, such as heavy raining.

NOTE: Do not allow the ignition coil to ground straight to the chassis without going through the resistance of a spark plug. Not doing so will allow thousands of volts to induce into the negative ground side (current limiting resistors are only on the VCC terminals of the EEC) of all electrical components, potentially harming them, especially the risk of over saturating the ignition coil.

Last edited by bluecar5556; 09-03-2011 at 10:26 PM.
Old 09-04-2011, 11:03 AM

Received 27 Likes on 25 Posts

Hey Bluecar 5556, read another post from you about the fuel reservoir, you are way to technical, don't know if you are yanking us around or not. That being said, you are correct about checking for spark and fuel during the no start mode, we need to determine if its a fuel or spark issue. If, you are serious about the over saturation stuff, tame it down alot so we can understand, well at least for me anyway. Thanks
Old 09-04-2011, 11:45 AM

Originally Posted by Good old Bill
If, you are serious about the over saturation stuff, tame it down alot so we can understand, well at least for me anyway. Thanks
Agreed. Usually when I start the truck, I hear a whine before firing it. This is the fuel pump correct? I don't recall whether or not I heard it yesterday when trying to start it.
Old 09-04-2011, 12:25 PM

Received 12 Likes on 12 Posts

Originally Posted by TN22Corps
Agreed. Usually when I start the truck, I hear a whine before firing it. This is the fuel pump correct? I don't recall whether or not I heard it yesterday when trying to start it.
Yes, the whining is the fuel pump priming the engine to start up If it's not doing that anymore, check the wiring going to and from the pump(s) If it all checks out, then the pump may be the culprit.
Old 09-04-2011, 02:28 PM

No, my intention is not to "pull your chain." Yes, it is perfect fine to discharge the ignition coil straight to ground, if the spark gap is small, on cars that no not have computer modules to fry such as a 60's muscle car but on more modern vehicles, this old school practice is obsolete on modern vehicles.

An ignition coil saturates with power, then discharges creating a spark. An over-saturated ignition coil is one that charges much longer than usual before being discharged. This happens when the spark gap is huge, the coil has to keep saturating until it can jump a potentially huge gap. That's why I said to use a spark plug because otherwise the coil will overheat, also because spark plugs have some resistance to protect computers.

I suppose this info is futile if no one murders their coil and potentially the computer's as well, by using a spark plug to begin with. Just looking out for you guys. Sorry for any confusion and if you have a question about anything, you're more than welcome to shoot me a PM.

Last edited by bluecar5556; 09-04-2011 at 04:08 PM.
Old 09-04-2011, 06:15 PM

Default Starts right up.

Went to start up my truck again today, as the rain has finally cleared up for now. I listened for the fuel pump and it came on and it started right up.
Old 09-04-2011, 07:52 PM
Are my eyes red?

I'd check the condition of the spark plug wires, dist cap and rotor. He's correct about moisture effing with the electricals and that's something fairly common in a no start in rain condition
Old 09-05-2011, 12:21 PM

Check for water on/in/around your spark Distributor...... might be shorting it-self.
Old 09-05-2011, 12:40 PM

Received 25 Likes on 25 Posts

check harness plugs and use dielectric grease to keep out moisture. Cheap insurance in high humidity areas.

Quick Reply: '91 5.0 Will Not Start