Topic Sponsor
1987 - 1996 F150 Still running strong! Talk about your 8th and 9th generation Ford F150 trucks.

1986 302 EFI trouble.

Search this Thread

Old 08-29-2010, 10:01 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default 1986 302 EFI trouble.

Hi,

I am new to the forum but thought I might be able to get some assitance here with my F150. I am having some trouble with my truck. A bit of a description of the problem is the truck will start and idle but when I am driving if I push on the fuel the truck sputters and surges and seems like it is starving for fuel. Yesterday I started working on the truck and here is what I have found. I do have a duel tank setup on this pickup and I can here both of the intank pumps running as well as the high pressure pump on the rail. I disconnect the fuel lines that go to the tanks at the fuel switch and filter. If I cycle the key from off to on I don't get a stream of fuel. Should I get a fair amount of fuel coming out of the lines? I reconnected everything up and pulled the line on the other side of the high pressure pump and if I cycle the key after about 5 times I will get a solid stream of fuel coming out of it but the first few times it is just spitting air with a bit of fuel.

I do not have much fuel in my rear tank so I didn't really use it as a good test but my front tank is full and I replaced the in tank pump about a year ago.

I have also replaced the fuel filter but now when I get the truck started if I push on the gas pedal at all it just acts like it is starving.

I am at a bit of a loss here. Do you think I have bad lift pumps? Is my high pressure pump going out on me? Do I have a different problem all together?

If I am losing my fuel pumps what do you guys recommend to replace them?

Any help would be greatly appreciated.

Thank You in advance

Brian
Old 08-29-2010, 11:12 AM
We'd do it

Received 449 Likes on 402 Posts

I'd do a fuel pressure test, with a gauge.
Old 08-29-2010, 02:59 PM

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

What Sean said.....I'd go with swapping the lift pumps first before you fork out the dough on the high pressure rail pump.... It'll be 10 times easier to pull the bed to swap the pumps.

Quick Reply: 1986 302 EFI trouble.