Remove of top of bed plastic trim caps - Ford F150 Forum - Community of Ford Truck Fans



Remove of top of bed plastic trim caps

Reply
 
 
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread
Old 05-18-2011, 01:01 PM   #1
Who cares?
Thread Starter
 
T-O F150's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2010
Posts: 50
Thanks: 0
Thanked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Default Remove of top of bed plastic trim caps

I need to remove the long ( 5.5' on my truck ) trim caps from the top of my box. I found one tang on the tailgate end that popped off, and I started squeezing the tangs from underneath the inside lip and tried pushing it up, but they're not coming off. Any ideas? Thanks
T-O F150 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-18-2011, 01:08 PM   #2
Senior Member
 
Buck150's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2010
Location: Michigan
Posts: 100
Thanked 4 Times in 4 Posts
Default

I took them off my 08 to clean underneath, they just fasten with plastic clips but be careful and warm weather will help. I started at the back and worked my hand in between to pry up, one clip side snapped off but it held on fine when I put them back on.
Buck150 is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Buck150 For This Useful Post:
YNOT8020 (09-20-2016)
Old 05-18-2011, 09:34 PM   #3
Who cares?
Thread Starter
 
T-O F150's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2010
Posts: 50
Thanks: 0
Thanked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Buck150 View Post
I took them off my 08 to clean underneath, they just fasten with plastic clips but be careful and warm weather will help. I started at the back and worked my hand in between to pry up, one clip side snapped off but it held on fine when I put them back on.
Couldn't wait for warm weather - snapped off a couple of clips, but I'll have to deal with that later. They have to come off now as I need to get to the stake pockets. Kinda ugly under there, though!
T-O F150 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-18-2011, 10:03 PM   #4
Senior Member
5 Year Member
 
Abn150's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2009
Location: Sandhills, NC
Posts: 1,041
Thanked 40 Times in 24 Posts
Default

What are you trying to do? Once you take the bed rail covers off, if you have broken some of the clips, it will never go on as tightly again. If you just want to access the stake pockets, there are many threads that talk about how to do that.
Abn150 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-19-2011, 10:06 PM   #6
Who cares?
Thread Starter
 
T-O F150's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2010
Posts: 50
Thanks: 0
Thanked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Abn150 View Post
What are you trying to do? Once you take the bed rail covers off, if you have broken some of the clips, it will never go on as tightly again. If you just want to access the stake pockets, there are many threads that talk about how to do that.
I need to access the stake pockets. I am having an aluminum frame welded up and going to cover that with a custom fit tarp. I need to take a piece of equipment on a job site and protect that equipment from the elements. ( rain mostly ) Problem is its going to be a week here and there over the summer and fall. Those panels certainly won't take installing them over and over and I can't drive it in between without the cover. Anyone make the pop out caps fit a 5.5 box??
T-O F150 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-19-2011, 10:25 PM   #7
I Like Tires
5 Year Member
 
BassAckwards's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2010
Location: Texas
Posts: 4,851
Thanked 235 Times in 209 Posts
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by T-O F150 View Post
I need to access the stake pockets. I am having an aluminum frame welded up and going to cover that with a custom fit tarp. I need to take a piece of equipment on a job site and protect that equipment from the elements. ( rain mostly ) Problem is its going to be a week here and there over the summer and fall. Those panels certainly won't take installing them over and over and I can't drive it in between without the cover. Anyone make the pop out caps fit a 5.5 box??
Are you saying your going to make an aluminum Bed Cap essentially?
I highly DO NOT reccomend this. This will prevent the bed from flexing and you will crack the outter fender of the bed between the cab and rear wheel. I welded for twenty years and have seen it many times. Guys at work would want us to custom make them Headache racks with bed cap attached to the rack and run all the way back to the rear stake pocket. Every one of them cracked the side of the bed, and they weren't all the same make/model.

If you do this you can't brace it up very strongly or you will have this same effect.

Last edited by BassAckwards; 05-19-2011 at 10:28 PM.
BassAckwards is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-19-2011, 10:44 PM   #8
Who cares?
Thread Starter
 
T-O F150's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2010
Posts: 50
Thanks: 0
Thanked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by BassAckwards View Post
Are you saying your going to make an aluminum Bed Cap essentially?
I highly DO NOT reccomend this. This will prevent the bed from flexing and you will crack the outter fender of the bed between the cab and rear wheel. I welded for twenty years and have seen it many times. Guys at work would want us to custom make them Headache racks with bed cap attached to the rack and run all the way back to the rear stake pocket. Every one of them cracked the side of the bed, and they weren't all the same make/model.

If you do this you can't brace it up very strongly or you will have this same effect.
I need to go up 4' above the top of the rear "fenders", giving me about 6' from the floor of the bed. Planned on using a 3/16" x 3" bottom plate with 1.5" square tubing for the uprights and verticals ( aluminum ). Then I plan on having a tarp shop make me a custom cover. There's another fellow in my area that has done this for years. The stake pockets are a little bigger than the 1.5". If I kinda float the uprights in the middle and not not fix the front and back uprights in the stake pockets, am I on the right track to make it work??
T-O F150 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-19-2011, 11:08 PM   #9
I Like Tires
5 Year Member
 
BassAckwards's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2010
Location: Texas
Posts: 4,851
Thanked 235 Times in 209 Posts
Default

Well if you've seen a guy with the same design then I would probably say go for it as long as you use the same design. I would fix the uprights in the stake pockets but just enough that they don't rattle and annoy you. The bed doesn't have a lot of "travel" when it flexes so as long as there is a little play you will be okay. Just don't tightly affix it together like we did with our headache racks and totally restrict movement or it will crack the bed.
BassAckwards is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-13-2016, 09:06 PM   #10
Junior Member
 
Join Date: Sep 2016
Posts: 1
Thanks: 0
Thanked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Default help

a couple of my clips on my side cap broke so now its lifting up and i was looking to get a roll up bed cover so i want to get the cap replaced first anyone know of any website that is selling 2013 ford f150 side caps left side
chaseahroo is offline   Reply With Quote
 
 
Reply

Related Topics
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
2004 Ford F150 Truck New Body Style Power Heated Turn Signal Upgrade Dual Arm Towing 1ATony Vendor Showcase 12 09-14-2016 02:57 PM
How To: 2015 F-150 Front Bumper/Tow Hook Removal boozinbuzz 2015 - Present Ford F150 7 06-02-2016 02:25 AM
Noise from front passenger wheel??? Drago77 2015 - Present Ford F150 1 03-12-2016 04:50 PM
Seat trim removal MHPrior80 2009 - 2014 Ford F150 5 09-07-2015 11:15 PM
Parts for bed cover by Advantage?? msred 2004 - 2008 Ford F150 0 09-04-2015 05:03 PM


Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are Off
Refbacks are Off



All times are GMT -4. The time now is 10:22 PM.


Copyright 2006 - 2016 F150Forum.com