Topic Sponsor
2009 - 2014 Ford F150 General discussion on 2009 - 2014 Ford F150 truck.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

F150 Bed Rail and Cap detailed pictures for 5-½" bed

Search this Thread

Old 05-03-2011, 11:40 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default F150 Bed Rail and Cap detailed pictures for 5-½" bed

Truck: is a 2010 F-150 4x4 Crew Cab with the 5-½ bed. King Ranch Addtion.

Project: Convert "Pueblo Gold" ABS rail caps to "Carbon Black".

Reason: Installing a Black "Extang Solid Fold" tonneau cover. Ford doesn't manufacture a pueblo gold tonneau cover to match the 2009-2011 King Ranch trucks. Nor does any other company make one. A black on pueblo gold caps looks bad. It would be awesome if extang made a small batch of Pueblo Gold caps. But alast no such planning is coming our way.

Attach are the photos showing metal bed rail constuction under the caps, what the stake pocket look like under the caps, the lack boxed stake pockets on the short bed, What the plastic caps look like on the under side, and what a King Ranch looks like with all the caps changed to carbon black. This site limits the attachment size to 117.2K and jpeg pixel size 700 by 800. I used photoshop I changed the image to 700 width and played with "Save for web" to meet the 117K. If the site had a allowed for 400k pictures Id 3600 width pictures that were "saved for web" in 200-300K file size range for you to look at. But, I had to meet the sites limited. The pictures look fine in photoshop though. I'm limited to 6 pictures. I make 2nd post with more with title continued.

I measured the pocket holes. I get 1.67" H x 2.30" W hole on my dial calipers.
I found the ford bed specs for a 2005. It states the stake pocket holes are
1.7" x 2.3" officially.

If your looking at the plastic cap underside the stand-offs keep the cap off the rail are between .246" to .249" high.

I had thought about installing a TracRac rail system. If i went that route id have to cut my own hole in the cap to acces the stake pockets. Figured need a stake pocket spacer washer at each pocket to take the compression loading at each stake pocket to keep the plastic cap from crushing at the pockets. I figure it would have a .425" border. Looking plastic cap and the rail, that border would not interfere with assy.
I use .250" ABS plastic steel 2.55" H x 3.15" per stake washer. I shave down with mill to .247" Depth then shave down by depth super thin 3M "Velocity High Bond" (VHB) double side tape". Id place tape on one side of the washer a tape it down on top the Stake pocket. When are stake washers were in place id install my modified the rail cap. With abs washer in place the caps would crush deford under load.

I didn't go with TracRac rails becuase the metal stake pocket the short bed are not caged inside like they are on the 6.5 and 8 foot beds. The TracRac rubber expansion block wouldn't have cage to clamp on. So the only hold power would be the horizontal tension underneath stake pocket and around the perimeter. I viewed that as not enough holding force and went with the Extang Solid fold tonneau cover in the end.

Ford messed up. 5.5 foot rail caps should have stake pocket holes in them. Plus the should have .461" re-enforced ABS perimeters around the holes. Looking at the under side of the caps. I feel ford should have thicken the .250" stand offs on the cap by x2 of x3 too take cap loading a prevent any crush of the cap if under load. The stake pockets on the short bed should have come boxed just like the 6.5 and 8 foot bed.

Enjoy the data.

Attached Thumbnails -left-rail-rear.jpg   -left-rail-front.jpg   -lf_front.jpg   -lf_stake-pocket-inside.jpg   -lr_stake-pocket-inside.jpg  

-left-caps-compared.jpg  
Old 05-04-2011, 02:13 AM

Received 70 Likes on 64 Posts

pics of it on the truck
Old 05-04-2011, 05:11 AM

Default truck pics

next 6 pics
Attached Thumbnails -done-view1.jpg   -done-view2.jpg   -done-view3.jpg   -done-view4.jpg   -done-view5.jpg  

-done-view6.jpg  

Last edited by emurach; 05-04-2011 at 05:18 AM. Reason: better way
Old 05-04-2011, 05:23 AM

Default more pics 2

more pics
Attached Thumbnails -right-rail.jpg   -right-caps-compare.jpg   -left-gold-cap-top-view.jpg   -left-rail-front.jpg   -left-gold-cap-under-side.jpg  

Old 05-24-2012, 05:44 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Looks good, what spray in bedliner company did you use?
Old 05-24-2012, 06:53 PM

Received 70 Likes on 64 Posts

i want to see the white one on the truck
Old 05-24-2012, 07:13 PM
Tommy

Received 29 Likes on 28 Posts

You need to buy a Volvo or sixty.

Quick Reply: F150 Bed Rail and Cap detailed pictures for 5-½" bed