Topic Sponsor
2015 - 2020 Ford F150 General discussion on the 13th generation Ford F150 truck.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Raptor shift Paddles on non-Raptor write-up

Search this Thread

Old 04-30-2017, 09:39 AM

Received 203 Likes on 129 Posts

If you are in drive and in 6th gear, when you hit the minus button it will downshift because you are locking out 6th. If you keep hitting minus it will continue to lock out gears and therefore downshift. Press plus and it will shift up according to speed/rpm. The paddle shifters work the same way as +/- button on the shifter handle when in drive. In M and using +/- and/or paddles the transmission will downshift on its own when slowing and does not allow upshift if speed/RPM is not great enough. So when stopping, you don't have to worry about downshifting. But if you feel the need for power, you can downshift without locking the gear out. I hope I explained that in a way that doesn't put more confusion on the subject.

By the way, I am having loads of fun using my paddle shifters. I can't confirm, but shifting with paddles in M might be better for MPG.
The following 2 users liked this post by XLT Shaker:
JAMADOR (05-01-2017), Max91 (04-30-2017)
Old 04-30-2017, 09:46 AM
Gone Golfin

Received 2,272 Likes on 1,391 Posts

Was really hoping this thread would just disappear.... this is about the only mod that I would like to do but was trying to pretend you couldn't.

Now I'm looking a steering wheels.... how far behind are we with a harness if a guy ordered one in the next day or so?
Old 04-30-2017, 10:04 AM

Received 203 Likes on 129 Posts

Originally Posted by idrive
Was really hoping this thread would just disappear.... this is about the only mod that I would like to do but was trying to pretend you couldn't.

Now I'm looking a steering wheels.... how far behind are we with a harness if a guy ordered one in the next day or so?
This is a mod well worth doing thanks to those members that took the time and energy to figure it out. They spent their time so that for the rest of us it's a simple and quick job. Especially with boosted providing the harness. Lots of the mods make our trucks look great, but this one makes driving our trucks more fun. I don't know how many have done this mod but a rough guestimate would be the number of harnesses that boosted have sold. But, chances are that those that have done it, they might be the only one in their area. It does make your truck unique.
Old 04-30-2017, 10:07 AM

Received 112 Likes on 81 Posts

Originally Posted by XLT Shaker
If you are in drive and in 6th gear, when you hit the minus button it will downshift because you are locking out 6th. If you keep hitting minus it will continue to lock out gears and therefore downshift. Press plus and it will shift up according to speed/rpm. The paddle shifters work the same way as +/- button on the shifter handle when in drive. In M and using +/- and/or paddles the transmission will downshift on its own when slowing and does not allow upshift if speed/RPM is not great enough. So when stopping, you don't have to worry about downshifting. But if you feel the need for power, you can downshift without locking the gear out. I hope I explained that in a way that doesn't put more confusion on the subject.

By the way, I am having loads of fun using my paddle shifters. I can't confirm, but shifting with paddles in M might be better for MPG.
Yes, I know you can make them work like that if you are in M. However if, like I normally run in D and you are say in 4, hitting the paddles once will have no effect. You would have to hit - 3 times to get a downshift. I knew this was going to be the case so not a huge issue, my desire for the paddles was much more for transmission control in snow.

However on mot vehicles with paddles, even in drive you get a shift up or down, typically changing to M mode at the same time. In most of these I have owned ( Audi, Porsche, BMW,RR etc) it also then switches back to D if you don't use the paddles agin within a minute or so. I was wondering if the Raptor control had been updated the same way rather than the set up we have
Old 04-30-2017, 10:25 AM

Received 2,417 Likes on 1,272 Posts

Originally Posted by idrive

I have more than enough pin wires to make harnesses, lol, but am low on stranded wires. Ordered more. As stands I have enough of all parts to ship 2 C210 floor shifter harnesses and about 5 or 6 C219 Column shifter harnesses same day! (Without adding extra wire for adding heated steering wheel pin to BCM)
Old 05-02-2017, 03:26 AM

Received 42 Likes on 35 Posts

HL3Z-3600-AA Raptor Steering Wheel Ordered!!! Boosted put me down for a wiring harness. I'll need the one that does not have the heated wheel option and I have the console shifter so I'll need the unit that hooks up behind the glove box. Let me know how to pay you. Thanks.
Old 05-02-2017, 08:12 AM
Just The Basic Facts

Received 1,019 Likes on 634 Posts

Originally Posted by SBD47
HL3Z-3600-AA Raptor Steering Wheel Ordered!!! Boosted put me down for a wiring harness. I'll need the one that does not have the heated wheel option and I have the console shifter so I'll need the unit that hooks up behind the glove box. Let me know how to pay you. Thanks.
Send him a PM.
The following users liked this post:
2016BoostedGreyGoose (05-02-2017)
Old 05-03-2017, 02:40 PM

Received 42 Likes on 35 Posts

Installed!!! I decided to use the gray trim from the Raptor wheel and just switched my buttons over. The gray matches the rest of the trim in the truck.
The following users liked this post:
alexatosjr (05-03-2017)
Old 05-03-2017, 03:33 PM

Received 80 Likes on 53 Posts

Originally Posted by SBD47

Installed!!! I decided to use the gray trim from the Raptor wheel and just switched my buttons over. The gray matches the rest of the trim in the truck.
Old 05-03-2017, 03:39 PM

Received 112 Likes on 81 Posts

Originally Posted by Scotsskier
Sorry guys but I am totally P***ed off after fitting this wheel. I don't know why anyone would recommend it

Why you ask?? Well after driving the truck with the raptor wheel it becomes glaringly obvious how soft and underdamped the front end is. Since there is now a proper tactile road feel through the new wheel, I can not just ignore it. So of course that now means I will need to fit 5100s or similar on the front to get the benefit......
well broke down and got the 5100s for the front. It was even more obvious that I had to do something when my wife drove it with the new s/w and told me "feels like a lot more play in it" !

Kudos to stage 3 for their service . Ordered the Bilsteins at 10.00am on Monday and arrived here at 3.00pm on Tuesday!

Quick Reply: Raptor shift Paddles on non-Raptor write-up