Topic Sponsor

What could cause battery light ON?

Search this Thread

Old 04-09-2017, 11:51 PM

Received 28 Likes on 28 Posts
Default What could cause battery light ON?

Ugh, did my harmonic balancer, and radiator. Checked the timing during different times of day and last 2 times, I looked in, and noticed battery light was on. Went for a drive and it was still on.

I used my meter and battery reads 12v. Only 3 or 4 week old battery.

Turned on truck, and tested battery reading 14.49/14.50 with the AC on max and fan on max.

Turned off AC and battery is still reading 14.50 thereabouts.

Not sure if should be driving it to work. I only have 1 call left for AAA. What could cause that light to go off? I know I used my timing light about 4 times but that should do anything right?

Also, took out the connections and cleaned the posts and made sure it's nice and tight.

One thing I should mention:
I'm having a pinging and mechanic told me to retard my timing.Got it down to 9 about last week before balancer or maybe it was less and it was solid,not very much pinging. Like almost gone. . So I figure, let me start at 10 which is the norm and I got pinging with new balancer. Took it down to 9 and still a little. Took it down to about 8 and now no pinging.

Can the low RPM be causing it? I mean I did drive it around.

And one more thing after Googling:

I do have a SQUEAK in the belt somewhere. I'm thinking idler pulley. But could the tensioner pulley be weak and not turning the alternator pulley? If that's the cause of the squeak, wondering if the battery light and the squeak are the same problem

Last edited by ericantonio; 04-10-2017 at 12:23 AM. Reason: mas info
Old 04-10-2017, 10:57 AM

Received 28 Likes on 28 Posts

How bizarre. Getting ready for it not to start this morning and took my multimeter with me in case it dies during day.

Battery light is not off

But i did notice, anfter Googling, that it should turn on when i turn key and turn off when engine starts to run. So the light doesnt turn on when i turn the ignition.

ALso today, the battery indicator needle went all the way to the letter A and yesterday it was just kissing the M. So its charging real good now. Weird
Old 04-10-2017, 04:19 PM

Received 93 Likes on 91 Posts

time to look at the grounds and braids that tie the engine, chassis and bits all together. A couple of good posts here for the "how to" details.
The following users liked this post:
ericantonio (04-10-2017)
Old 04-11-2017, 09:10 PM

Received 708 Likes on 671 Posts

If your battery at rest shows 11 1/2 to 12 volts, that's good.
If running it shows 14 1/2 volts, that's the alternator charging properly.
Not sure why your light's coming on, but your numbers are good.
Old 05-11-2017, 06:47 PM

Received 3 Likes on 1 Post
Default same issue

i had a similar issue on my 91...not charging then charging ...then not...turned out to be a poor connection to ground in the charging sys.