Topic Sponsor

Think I figured it out....opinions?

Search this Thread

Old 05-14-2017, 06:22 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Think I figured it out....opinions?

Give you a little history. 87, 5.0, automatic. Previous owner said there was a slight miss. On the way home from purchase I felt the slight miss...as I kept driving on the way home it got worse and worse almost to the point of undrivable and I thought it might be the transmission.

Fast forward a couple of weeks I scan the truck. KOEO does not pull anything in active memory. Gives me 14C, 18C, and 33C. 14C is PIP Stator voltage, 18C is Spout connector grounding, and 33C is EGR valve.

Truck has been intermittent with this issue....give you an example. I can drive to my gas station 3 miles away and truck will barely make it...run inside grab a drink and drive home with ZERO issues....so in the same drive it can either do it or not....I drove the truck the other day for about a mile...parked it...next day it now will not start.

SO all this is really leaning towards replacing the distributor. The previous owner replaced EVERYTHING electrical with this truck down to the computer (I have receipts). Coil, cap, rotor, wires, ignition switch...everything...they did not replace the distributor which leads me to believe, along with the code 14C, that the PIP sensor has now gone completely out.

Sound like a good assessment? Also I believe this is what I will need, a distributor with a cast gear.

TIA

http://www.oreillyauto.com/site/c/de...rd=distributor
Old 05-14-2017, 10:12 PM

Received 708 Likes on 671 Posts

Sounds like a pretty likely possibility.
Yes you need the cast gear - machined gear is for roller cams.