Topic Sponsor

Which starter? Motorcraft Premium Aftermarket Design?

Search this Thread

Old 03-06-2018, 09:09 AM

Received 489 Likes on 436 Posts
Default Which starter? Motorcraft Premium Aftermarket Design?

What do you all think of this....motorcraft premium aftermarket design? Is that a real thing or is that just a fancy way of saying they took the $53 TYC version and slapped the motorcraft name on it. I just got a TYC alternator delivered the other day and it looks to be of REALLY good quality. Starter motor is the last thing to replace in my crusade to upgrade my electrical system, so saving $60 does not sound like a horrible idea. Anybody buy these premium aftermarket motorcraft parts? I have seen them pop up in a couple other places too.

Old 03-06-2018, 10:44 AM

Received 1,731 Likes on 1,487 Posts

No one is designing starters for these trucks. It's a MotorCraft at best - but that doesn't look like a MC PN. The 2nd one does, and it's what I use on my V8. But I got it on eBay for less.
The following users liked this post:
BLDTruth (03-06-2018)
Old 03-28-2018, 09:10 AM

Received 489 Likes on 436 Posts

Thought I would report back on this - I didn't even end up getting a new starter. Once I put the new battery cables on, it was clear to me that there is nothing wrong with my starter - I will replace it when it fails.

But, my sister's 97 ford taurus' starter recently gave up the ghost, and I replaced her starter with the TYC brand that only cost $60 compared to the $130-ish they wanted for the motorcraft reman. Works great. Will it work in a year or two? That is the question. But the build quality seemed very impressive.

Quick Reply: Which starter? Motorcraft Premium Aftermarket Design?