Topic Sponsor

1995 F150 5.0 Oil and Temp gauge max/peg out after starting

Search this Thread

Old 03-29-2018, 09:38 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default 1995 F150 5.0 Oil and Temp gauge max/peg out after starting

Looking at buying a 95 F150 with a 5.0 A/T 4x4. Gentlemen that has the truck is the original owner and only has 101,000 miles on it. Over the last couple years the truck is only been driven a couple thousand miles per year. The concern, when you first start truck the temperature and oil pressure gauge max or peg out. A majority of the time after the truck warms up the gauges come back to the normal position but every now and then they stayed maxed out. Both gauges are maxed out or in the normal position. My thoughts are since this is happening it is probably the gauges. Also, the truck wouldnt be overheated right when starting up and been sitting for hours or days.

I would appreciate any thoughts or advice I only have a couple days to make decision before truck is offered to next person.
Old 03-30-2018, 11:48 AM

Received 1,731 Likes on 1,487 Posts

It's not likely the gauges, but the circuits between the gauges & senders. It won't be an expensive fix, no matter what. A good used '94-95 instrument cluster can be had at most JYs near me for ~$40, but I don't think you'll need one. I think you'll find some pinched wires shorting to ground. The captions in this photo album explain everything you might ever want to know about those gauges:

(phone app link)

The temperature gauge might simply need a new sender:

(phone app link)

Quick Reply: 1995 F150 5.0 Oil and Temp gauge max/peg out after starting