Topic Sponsor

Starter doesn't disengage?

Search this Thread

Old 03-04-2014, 07:39 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Starter doesn't disengage?

Okay I had another thread that just turned into a huge cluster of ideas so let's start fresh, y silinoid burned up awhile ago and iv had electrical problems since, iv replaced alottt of burned wiring, switches etc. and got most of the bugs out until now. I can turn my key backwards and get power to everything but when I turn if forward to on I don't get power and don't hear my pumps kick on, but when I turn it over everything powers on and the truck starts but soon as I turn it back to the on position it dies. I can leave it forward in the start position and put it into drive and the starter doesn't grind on anything as long a It isn't neutral or park (not sure what's going on there) now iv already replaced my ignition switch but the plug it self was melted and cracked a bit, the wires going to it have a little bit of discoloration but seem to be in good shape still, I'm plum out of ideas so anything helps
Old 03-05-2014, 02:04 AM

Received 102 Likes on 99 Posts

Originally Posted by OleRed88xlt
Okay I had another thread that just turned into a huge cluster of ideas so let's start fresh, y silinoid burned up awhile ago and iv had electrical problems since, iv replaced alottt of burned wiring, switches etc. and got most of the bugs out until now. I can turn my key backwards and get power to everything but when I turn if forward to on I don't get power and don't hear my pumps kick on, but when I turn it over everything powers on and the truck starts but soon as I turn it back to the on position it dies. I can leave it forward in the start position and put it into drive and the starter doesn't grind on anything as long a It isn't neutral or park (not sure what's going on there) now iv already replaced my ignition switch but the plug it self was melted and cracked a bit, the wires going to it have a little bit of discoloration but seem to be in good shape still, I'm plum out of ideas so anything helps
"Seem to be" maybe you should actually do some electrical trouble shooting on them.
Old 03-05-2014, 02:13 AM

I'm 17 and live in the middle on nowhere I have no idea where these wires go know anyone who would, if you would like to explain to me how to go about that id happily ablige
Old 03-05-2014, 04:59 AM

I'm 17 and live in the middle on nowhere I have no idea where these wires go know anyone who would, if you would like to explain to me how to go about that id happily ablige
Age isn't much of an excuse and obviously you have internet access. What year is your truck. Since you're starting a new thread instead of staying with the old one you should probably re-share that kind of info.
Old 03-05-2014, 07:39 AM
November 2011 TOTM Winner

Received 73 Likes on 71 Posts

Done, you can lead a horse to water but cant make him drink. What am I missing?

iv already replaced my ignition switch but the plug it self was melted

https://www.f150forum.com/f10/need-h...roblem-247153/
Old 03-05-2014, 08:04 PM

It's an 88, the plug had just got hot and was a little disfigured but iv already cleaned all the connections and got the plug to fit fine so it's no longer a factor, the problem has to lye else where
Old 03-06-2014, 12:33 AM

Received 59 Likes on 57 Posts

I think what 5Rangers is telling you is since everything at the switch seams to work in two positions and not the on position, then its either the ignition switch or the burnt connection that you cleaned. It may be a new switch, but that doesn't mean it works right. The burnt wire tells you that something happened and more then likely that wire is damaged somewhere else. Electricity generally works in a closed loop. If something is not working, the loop is open somewhere, either in the wire or in a part. You can touch the positive, and you can touch the negative, but if you touch both and close the loop, you will get hit.
Old 03-06-2014, 12:17 PM

If I find a schematic for an 88 ignition switch and starting system I'll post it. Something in the wires or connections isn't working right.
Old 03-06-2014, 07:33 PM

I'd greatly appreciate it, I'm sure it something along the wiring harness I just have no idea where to start looking considering I don't know where these wires go and I realy don't wanna break something trying to take the dash apart chasing them
Old 03-07-2014, 06:49 AM
November 2011 TOTM Winner

Received 73 Likes on 71 Posts

Originally Posted by Forge-World-FORD
If I find a schematic for an 88 ignition switch and starting system I'll post it. Something in the wires or connections isn't working right.
I posted the schematic in his other thread.

https://www.f150forum.com/f10/need-h...roblem-247153/

I'd greatly appreciate it, I'm sure it something along the wiring harness I just have no idea where to start looking considering I don't know where these wires go and I realy don't wanna break something trying to take the dash apart chasing them
There is no easy way, you have got to put your hands all along the length of the harness. If that means pulling apart your dash, then that's what you have to do. This is one of the luxuries of burning up a harness, you have to dig it out by starting at the connector you found melted.

Last edited by 5Rangers; 03-07-2014 at 10:28 AM.

Quick Reply: Starter doesn't disengage?