Topic Sponsor

Packrats! Need help putting wires back 1995 351

Search this Thread

Old 03-17-2018, 05:06 PM

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Default Packrats! Need help putting wires back 1995 351

Hey guys, I left my truck out by a tree for a month, and it wouldn't start. Turns out the engine compartment was fill with junk, and packrats had chewed through vacuum lines, injector wires (and more) and plug wires.

I can figure out the plug wires, but want someone to verify where the wires along the fuel rail are going. I've put up 3 pictures with colors showing where I think these are supposed to go. Could someone please take a look and verify? I've tried to color code the wires. Also want to make sure the green and white vacuum lines don't branch off from where I think they go. The one sensor that lost it's wires has the same colors as the fuel injectors so it's important I get this correct. I've seen pictures where the two wiress branching off from the middle of the wires BOTH go to the injectors, if true, Where do I connect the TAB (or TAB?)

Thanks
Pete

ABOVE: Black arrow points to sensor. Maybe MAF sensor? Most importantly I want to be sure those wires at end of fuel rail go to this sensor. White wire has black stripe

Above: Yellow should have been white. Pretty sure these are correct, but want an expert to verify. I don't have a good picture of my original engine Vacuum lines are just reconnected without branching.. Right?

Here again is a blurry pic of the sensor with wires dangling. White wire has a black stripe. I think they connect to the end of the wire bundle along the fuel rail.
I'll be outside but will have my phone with me for updates! Thanks again!

Last edited by hoytpr; 03-17-2018 at 05:15 PM.
Old 03-17-2018, 06:17 PM

I was naive to think the stupid rats hadn't gotten under the plenum. I have plenty more work ahead of me than I thought.

So new vacuum lines and some other updates are in order.
Old 03-18-2018, 11:50 AM

Received 1,731 Likes on 1,487 Posts

The vacuum lines are shown on the vacuum map on the VECI label on the hood above the master cylinder, but they're all virtually identical:

(phone app link)

On the truck I'm building now, I'm using silicone tubing to replace the vacuum lines:

(phone app link)

To correctly re-attach the wires, you have to know what you're attaching them to. If your truck has a MAF, it's on the air filter cover outlet; not the engine. Study this & the NEXT several pics, and their captions:

(phone app link)

If you don't have a Haynes, now's the time to get one:

(phone app link)

In the meantime, you can look up most of the wiring diagrams here:
http://www.bbbind.com/free_tsb.html
You don't have to use your real e-mail, but you do have to switch to WIRING DIAGRAMS.

If you take your time, and peel back the harness wrap to expose the wires' original colors (not age-faded), you should be able to put them all back together. But you might have to replace some of the pigtail connectors, if the wires are chewed off too short. I've done many repairs like this:

(phone app link)

(phone app link)

(phone app link)

(phone app link)

If the mice aren't still in the truck, they'll come back. Either BEFORE you start taking it apart, OR after you finish putting everything back together, WASH it thoroughly to remove as much food & bedding material as you can.

(phone app link)

Dig the trash out of the cowl drains, and remove all the mud/grass from the frame & suspension.

(phone app link)

Buy a bag of rat poison, and spread it on, in, & around the truck. Something like these:
Amazon Amazon

Amazon Amazon

Amazon Amazon

What is that hack with the bluish tape at the top of your 2nd pic zip-tied to the brake booster hose?

Last edited by Steve83; 03-18-2018 at 12:01 PM.
Old 03-27-2018, 08:48 PM

Thanks for the pics and links. I've cleaned up the engine compartment and blew everything out of the crevices. These things like rocks! I was pulling rocks out of everywhere. I killed the rodents with traps, but will check the frame.
Pete

Quick Reply: Packrats! Need help putting wires back 1995 351