Topic Sponsor

Odd battery drain

Search this Thread

Old 09-26-2017, 09:25 AM

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Default Odd battery drain

Hey guys, searching for a battery drain. Pulled all fuses and one had draw. Removed it- battery still draining 178mA. ALL fuses removed (under driver side dash). Still has drain. Ran voltmeter across battery in the morning it read 12.4volts with key out and no load. Go to start and battery light goes on and and won't attempt to turn over. Battery is going to be bench tested today. Any advice on where to start looking for the amperage draw? Most of the truck looks original. Going to start cleaning wires and replacing as needed. May test alternator; reads 14.4volts when engine on and idling. Something seems to be pulling. I do have code 51 and 84 (ect and egr) but want to get the electrical fixed asap. The fuel gauge is always reading is that normal? The oil pressure and temperature guages do not work and probably need a clean or new sending unit also.
Old 09-26-2017, 03:53 PM

Just an update; battery tested out fine. Pulled the wires off the alternator and leak dropped minimally. Went from 170mA to 145mA. Guessing it's not the alternator?
Old 09-26-2017, 06:19 PM

So without much to go on, tomorrow I'm going to start pulling wires off the relay in the fender (positive lead wire goes into it). There's a handful of wires coming off that relay so one obviously has to be the culprit as there are no other hot wires.. once I figure which it is I'll begin following it to find a short.
Old 09-26-2017, 07:06 PM

Received 93 Likes on 91 Posts

save some time, by checking all of your lights, wait for dusk, easy to see them...and make sure things are symetrical...both sides same and work the same.

Then check ANY aftermarket stuff - radios, alarms, trailer controllers and so on.

I would check all of the grounds to make sure they are solid.

Not sure why you did not follow the fuse and wiring for the one "that had draw"...?

If you turn the key with a 12.4 battery that has ample current....the starter/solenoid should at least click and try to spin....I would start looking at voltage drop in that circuit...at the starter...do you still have 12.4 volts with key to start position...?

wiring diagram on hand?
Old 09-26-2017, 08:05 PM

Wiring diagram on the way, ordered Haynes red book. I didn't follow the current that had the drain YET because I still have a drain and want to fix waking up with dead battery before I work on the problematic radio fuse. I will- just want to find the reason for the remainder of the draw. I redid the ground connections on the batter terminal, I'll run through the rest tomorrow. As far as checking lights and what not at dusk; am I looking for something that is ON when it shouldn't be? Or more dim than another? Thanks for the reply I will definately look into any and all options!
Old 09-27-2017, 07:13 AM

Received 260 Likes on 190 Posts

I did the parasitic draw test on 'every' fuse. Nothing showed up, ended up being a bad diode in the alternator. Replaced the alternator with a new rebuilt lifetime warranty alternator from my local auto parts store, fixed. I might not start my truck for 3 weeks at a time, starts every time
Old 09-27-2017, 08:36 AM

Received 93 Likes on 91 Posts

Originally Posted by MPFit
am I looking for something that is ON when it shouldn't be? Or more dim than another? Thanks for the reply I will definately look into any and all options!
one dimmer than the other one....is an indication
Old 10-07-2017, 06:44 AM

Still on the hunt. Narrowed it down to one of the wires off the starter relay. It splits into two- I've isolated it to one of them. When the wire is disconnected, the clicks I usually hear when moving the key to ON do not sound. I've attempted to start it with wire disconnected and the starter goes as normal but it doesn't fire up. My assumption is no fuel? I do NOT hear the fuel pumps buzzing when the truck is off. I've pulled the fuel and EEC relays and no change in the draw. Possible short somewhere BEFORE the relays? I've got most of the insulation stripped up to the radiator reservoir but will have to remove the reservoir and the air filter box to trace the rest of the wire.. anyone have any ideas what it could be? I just found out that the previous owner deleted a fuel tank. The switch is gone and it it's place He put wires into some of the spots I assume to close the feedback loop on the switch?
Old 10-08-2017, 08:00 AM

Quick update I narrowed it down the the ignition switch; pulled it out with battery connected and overnight saw no battery drain. Will replace and see if that fixed problem.