Topic Sponsor

Not Starting

Search this Thread

Old 02-03-2016, 02:43 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Not Starting

I have a 1989 Ford F150 Custom with the inline 6 (4.9). Drove her home and got to the edge of the drive and she shut down on me. It was cranking very slow then stopped after a few cranks so I had the battery checked and it was good. Took starter off and seen a lot of brass dust which I determined was right. put the new starter on and cranked fine. a friend of mine put a screw driver against the post on the coil and left a gap for the spark against the block and nothing. Replaced the coil and still nothing. Before I get my meter going and checking everything from the coil back to the ignition switch according to the manual I figured I ought to ask on here first to see if anyone might know what the issue could be. Thanks in advance
Old 02-03-2016, 09:01 AM

Received 708 Likes on 671 Posts

Check if you have power to your coil with the key turned to on (the plug that goes to the coil from the wiring harness). If you don't work your way back to the ignition switch to find the interrution.
If you do have power there but no spark look at the distributor (PIP, module, etc.)
Might want to actually check that the rotor inside the distributor is turning when the engine does.
Old 02-03-2016, 01:06 PM

ok thanks
Old 02-03-2016, 02:49 PM

Received 137 Likes on 133 Posts

First I would properly check to see if you are getting power up to the coil with the ignition switch turned on. I like to use a test light on the small wires that hook onto the coil.

Knowing this vintage(pre 1992) of Ford vehicles, I would bet your problem will turn out to be that the ignition module on the side of the distributor went dead. You need a special tool to remove and reinstall the ignition module.

When the ignition module goes dead, it is dead. The PIP sensor on the other hand will usually come back alive after sitting for some time.

Well anyway I guess a little testing is needed before hand. Good luck with it.
Old 02-05-2016, 02:24 AM

yep it was the ICM

THANKS
Old 02-06-2016, 09:28 PM

Just wanted to throw in my "no start" problem and solution. I have a 1997 F-150 xlt 4.6l. I noticed it was having some trouble leading up to the last time it did'n't start at all. Turn over but no start. I also noticed when trying to start it the RPM.s was not moving. (after replacing the coils for no spark. That I rushed in to do for no reason) I pulled out the camshaft sensor, tested it put it back. No change. Then pulled out "crank sensor" tested it. It was fine. I guess it was just dirty cause after re-installing it, it started!!! Having 287,000 miles I was ready to junk it....but it's running again!! Hope this helps someone. - Brian

Quick Reply: Not Starting