Topic Sponsor

License plate light headache......

Search this Thread

Old 02-15-2016, 01:13 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default License plate light headache......

Good evening everyone!

Forgive me is this is me being stupid, but it's been a long, long week...and I figured after scouring the Internet and trying to figure out what I'm missing, I thought I'd try here last.

I own a 1992 2WD F-150 , with the i6 with 196000ish miles. I just replaced the clutch pedal assembly and master cylinder..and she drives smooth still .

My rear license plate lights went out (technically only one has been running lately...) and I finally had the time to replace them. I went to the local Auto Parts store and found what they said was the correct replacement unit. It looks as far as I can tell identical to the old ones. (Attached is a picture of the two lights, one with the cap and one without.

Since the person I bought this truck from appeared to have already messed with some of the wiring back there, I didn't know what to expect., I ASSUMED (you know what they say about assuming,) that I could just tap into the brown wire that runs tucked back and in the rear bumper that gives power to the parking lights. I snipped the brown parking light wire at the halfway point to ensure I could splice the license plate lights into it, and the passenger side rear parking break wouldn't turn on, as expected, since the connection was broken.

I attached the first parking light into the brown wire, then reconnected the other passenger side rear parking light and the rear parking lights both work, but the damn license plate light won't light up...

My confusion is there is current running through the brown wire, and my old lights appeared to be hooked into the brown wire when they worked.

I literally just spliced one of the license plate lights into the brown wire, and tested both, and they aren't turning on despite current going through the wire..

I attached them in at this location,

And my thoughts are either that it isn't getting enough power (probably not...but I don't know much about electrical work...)

Or that something is wrong with splicing into the parking light wire..

(One pictured without cover and one with.

Any input / help is greatly appreciated!!! I love this forum.

Last edited by Matt Leitner; 02-15-2016 at 01:16 AM.
Old 02-15-2016, 01:40 AM

Received 502 Likes on 324 Posts

Could bad bulbs be your problem? I know new lights but made in China. also I assume they are installed in the metal bumper make sure the bumper is grounded to the frame.[Rusty bolts] You can test the bulbs and sockets by just touching the wire and socket directly to the battery.
The following users liked this post:
Matt Leitner (02-15-2016)
Old 02-15-2016, 02:30 AM

Received 21 Likes on 20 Posts

+ 1 on the good ground and stuff made in china. Nothing is ever easy it seems !
Matt Leitner (02-15-2016)
Old 02-15-2016, 09:28 AM

Default Thank you!

Thanks for the advice guys! I am going to check the bulbs after work today...and will also double check the metal rear bumper is grounded to the frame.

I just don't understand how the rear parking lights work, but the license plate lights don't work when spliced into it....

Will update!

Thanks again guys!
Old 02-15-2016, 01:57 PM

Received 708 Likes on 671 Posts

I would think splicing into the brown wire should have worked.
But there is usually a separate little harness for the l/p lights that attaches to the rear crossmember of the frame, right by the rear bolts that hold the gas tank straps. That harness plugs in to the main harness. So if you have too much trouble with what you bought, you might want to swing by a wrecking yard.
Matt Leitner (02-16-2016)
Old 02-16-2016, 12:33 AM

Default Fixed

Thank you Chris_1!

So..it wasn't being grounded with the bumper...but I did find the wire that is grounded to the frame luckily...

I got some exposed copper wire, wrapped it around the base of the light , and connected it to the grounded white wire to the frame and boom! We have light!

Still shocked the bumper wasn't grounded, but you live and learn.

Thanks to everyone here.

Saved me a huge headache! Just happy I don't have to worry about getting pulled over while driving at night

Thanks again!!

Quick Reply: License plate light headache......