Topic Sponsor

Key left in run position with engine off something fried

Search this Thread

Old 04-11-2019, 09:14 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Key left in run position with engine off something fried

92 f150 with 4.9. I left the key in the run position without the engine running for a couple of hours by accident, after that it wouldn't start, no spark. Replaced with new ICM, new distributor with cap and rotor, and new ignition coil. Now it wants to run with starter engaged but as soon as I let off the starter it just dies. Start circuit definately has spark, the run circuit appears to have no spark. All fuses are good, tried different engine control relay, can hear the fuel pump running. From what i've read the pcm takes over fuel and spark control after start up but I don't want to replace that unless I'm sure it's the problem.
Old 04-11-2019, 11:14 PM

Received 1,735 Likes on 1,490 Posts

Put all the original parts back in. They're higher quality than any replacements, and the things you changed are NOT the root cause of the symptom.

The EEC always controls the injectors; cranking or running. The ICM always controls the coil (spark). The only change is that the ICM gets a timing signal from the EEC when the engine is running. Click this & read the top half of the caption:

(phone app link)

Saying "all" fuses doesn't tell us if you know that there are 2 fuse boxes on that truck, and that you checked both. Nor does it tell us if you know that there are also fusible link wires that can burn without any external indication. So it's better to list each individual thing that you checked so we know exactly what the situation is. Click this:

(phone app link)

But my first guess would be that the ig.sw. is burned on one of the RUN terminals:

(phone app link)

Last edited by Steve83; 04-14-2019 at 12:48 AM.
Old 04-12-2019, 07:49 AM

Originally Posted by Steve83
Put all the original parts back in. They're higher quality than any replacements, and the things you changed are NOT the root cause of the symptom.

The EEC always controls the injectors; cranking or running. The ICM always controls the coil (spark). The only change is that the ICM gets a timing signal from the EEC when the engine is running. Click this & read the top half of the caption:

(phone app link)

Saying "all" fuses doesn't tell us if you know that there are 2 fuse boxes on that truck, and that you checked both. Nor does it tell us if you know that there are also fusible link wires that can burn without any external indication. So it's better to list each individual think that you checked so we know exactly what the situation is. Click this:

(phone app link)

But my first guess would be that the ig.sw. is burned on one of the RUN terminals:

(phone app link)
Steve, thanks for the info, I did mean both fuse boxes, dont know where any of the fusible links are though. Ignition switch makes sense, going to go check it for continuity.
Old 04-12-2019, 12:30 PM

Yes I checked both fuse boxes, not sure where fusible links are located? I replaced ignition switch still has the same problem. There is 12v to the coil in the run position. Also, has dtc's 111, 10, 116, 211, 212 & 332. Replaced coolant temp sensor for 116. 332 was ofiginal code i was working on, replaced egr position sensor. Not sure where to go from here?
Old 04-14-2019, 12:47 AM

Received 1,735 Likes on 1,490 Posts

STOP replacing parts. Put the originals back in (including the ig.sw.) and TEST them. If they pass, LEAVE them alone. If they fail, TEST the replacements before installing them - if they fail the same way, either the new ones are also bad, or you're testing them wrong and the originals AREN'T bad.

A Ford EEC can't produce both 2-digit & 3-digit codes. And these old EEC-IVs can't produce a "0" at all. So "10" is not a code, as this caption explains:

(phone app link)

This explains how fusible link wires work:

(phone app link)

This site requires an e-mail for access to your truck's wiring diagrams including fusible links, but it doesn't have to be your e-mail or real:
http://www.bbbind.com/tsb-wiring-diagrams-database/

Last edited by Steve83; 04-14-2019 at 12:51 AM.

Quick Reply: Key left in run position with engine off something fried