Topic Sponsor

Ignition cylinder won't slide out

Search this Thread

Old 04-12-2019, 06:15 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Default Ignition cylinder won't slide out

When trying to remove the ignition switch cylinder, I depress the little pin on the bottom side of the cylinder with the key in the run position. When trying to wiggle the cylinder itself out, it will side a couple of mm out, but will not budge beyond that. I've tried lightly prying while pushing the pin in, I've tried wiggling the ignition switch -- nothing will get the thing out. When I have it slid out as far as it'll go, I can look in the hole where the pin would be and see that it is depressed and about half way out of sight (from that hole).

Anybody ever ran into this problem? Google keeps getting me people with stuck keys in they're ignition switches.. nothing has been close to what I described above. Thanks!
The following users liked this post:
ray1984 (04-15-2020)
Old 04-12-2019, 07:03 PM

Received 90 Likes on 79 Posts

I'm not sure what you are working on, but I recently replaced the ignition switch key in my '92 F150 without any major problems. The pin took a very firm push in, and the cylinder didn't move real easily at first. After it moved a little bit it slid right out.

The new Motorcraft replacement slid right in. Turning the cylinder the very first time required a firm twist. It's been trouble free for a few months now.

Good luck with yours.

Jonathan
Old 04-14-2019, 12:54 AM

Received 1,731 Likes on 1,487 Posts

That's why ALL your truck's details need to be in your signature - so you don't have to remember every time you have a question, & we don't have to ask & wait or go looking back through your posts every time we want to answer you. Click this & read the caption:

(phone app link)
Old 04-14-2019, 10:50 AM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Alright signature is updated. @Slowbrick I'm just trying to take off the upper shroud over the steering wheel so I can change out the gear shift lever. Not getting very far with it.. maybe I need to use something other than an alan key to depress the pin.
Old 04-14-2019, 01:19 PM

Received 1,731 Likes on 1,487 Posts

That's a START on the truck's description...

It doesn't matter if you use a plastic swizzle stick or a carbide punch to press the pin; pressed is pressed. Read this & the NEXT caption:

If yours can't be removed that easily, I'd assume something is wrong in the column. Why exactly are you trying to remove the cylinder? Do you know of any previous work on or repairs to the column? Try rotating the key slightly while pressing the pin in to make sure it's rotated where the pin can go all the way in.
The following users liked this post:
ray1984 (04-15-2020)

Quick Reply: Ignition cylinder won't slide out