Topic Sponsor

coil issues?

Search this Thread

Old 08-17-2017, 06:54 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default coil issues?

Have 86 f150 302 w/dual tanks, automatic. The truck had not run in quite some time, I don't know how long, I bought it that way. Replaced fuel pumps and senders, cleaned out tanks (neither was pumping fuel). When I got the fuel pumps fixed, it started right up. I had started it and let it run several times, it just sat there and idled pretty as you please. The other day I replaced the master cylinder, had no brake petal, and started it up and ran it, it had great petal again. I cleaned out in front of the truck, was going to move it down the driveway and it just stopped running, like bang, dead. I have preformed the test on the coil, after some other component checks and decided it was the coil. Here's the rub, the coil is hot on both sides of the wires going in, I think they are green and a white one, according to the test the white one is supposed to pulse light, meaning its getting a signal to fire the coil but problem is when you crank the truck, it stays lit, maybe even looses some brightness in the test light. Anyone out there got a clue. Any help is greatly appreciated.
Old 08-18-2017, 07:52 PM

Received 708 Likes on 671 Posts

I believe that you need an led test light to see the flashes caused by the PIP. A regular test light can't flash that fast.
Old 08-19-2017, 10:46 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Thanks, after concluding by reading other threads either the pickup or modulator was bad, replaced the distributor because it's cheeper than buying the components to fix old one. Schazm it worked, fired right up. I know one by one I will replace all the external ignition components. Just old trucks, and I am thankful that I have this one.