Topic Sponsor

1996 F-150 XLT 2wd 4.9l/300cid with 5 speed

Search this Thread

Old 08-13-2018, 10:47 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default 1996 F-150 XLT 2wd 4.9l/300cid with 5 speed

Dinging like key is still in ignition. After replacing ignition switch and starter, vehicle has slow crank/no start. i knowi need a new battery but, after removing the key from the switch, it still dings like the key is inserted. It's done this since the steering column was replaced but, before i replaced the ignition switch it was more intermittent. Now, it's constant, if the driver door is open. A friend has the thought, as i do, that it may be a control module. Body command module is evidently now only a junkyard item as i called my dealership earlier and they told me they have no listing available for that part. Any help would be greatly appreciated
Old 08-13-2018, 10:59 AM

Received 1,731 Likes on 1,487 Posts

Why were those parts replaced? With what (brand, PN, source) by whom?

There is no BCM on these old trucks. Click this & read the captions:

(phone app link)
Old 08-13-2018, 11:18 AM

The steering column was replaced by a local shop after the truck had been stolen and the switch torn all to hell and gone. After they replaced the column, the key would rarely go in correctly on the first try and it had the intermittent ding. The lock ring around the switch was already broken and would just trying freely when the column was installed so, i replaced the whole assembly with a new switch from O'Reilly Auto parts. I'm not sure about the part number other than to know it wasn't with a transponder so it was the same as the old one, as well as the original. I also replaced the starter with one from AutoZone which was a warranty swap. I had already replaced it once back around 2009 or thereabouts
Old 08-13-2018, 11:38 AM

Many thanks sir. I found that little wire and there terminal end was bent out of its channel. I removed the clip and straighted it back into is changed and operation is now A-1

Quick Reply: 1996 F-150 XLT 2wd 4.9l/300cid with 5 speed