Topic Sponsor

1992 f150 fusable link

Search this Thread

Old 03-31-2018, 11:33 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default 1992 f150 fusable link

Mine has the 5.0 c6 trans XLT.Seems like when I use my power windows my link blew out and drained battery fast.This was right after replaceing my alt. and battery with new. Iwanted to replace that harness,it's the one from the alt to the neg side battery the one with the fusable link, Ford no longer stocks, cant find any where,so I instahled in line fuse30 amp, it blew first try.Also there is a drain on the battery, won't stay charged
Old 03-31-2018, 01:04 PM

Received 1,731 Likes on 1,487 Posts

I don't think the C6 was offered in '92 F150s. Click this, read the caption, and fill in your signature:

(phone app link)

The PW circuit doesn't have a fusible link; it uses a self-resetting circuit breaker. And when a fuse or fusible link burns, it STOPS that circuit from draining the battery.

This would be easier to understand if you told it chronologically. Why did you replace the alternator, and with what (source, brand, PN)? Same questions for the battery. Why did you want to replace a wiring harness section? There isn't one from the alt. to the battery (-) post. How did you choose a 30A fuse? There are 2 fusible links on that truck; one carries ~150A peak; the other peaks over 200A, so it's not surprising that a 30A fuse blew quickly. Don't modify the wiring system if you don't understand it - repair it, or pay someone who understands it to repair/modify it.

Are you saying the battery drains when the truck is turned off? Have you measured battery or alternator voltage when the truck is running?

Quick Reply: 1992 f150 fusable link