Topic Sponsor

Preventing dash from cracking?

Search this Thread

Old 08-30-2016, 08:05 AM

Received 21 Likes on 14 Posts
Default Preventing dash from cracking?

Is there any way to prevent a dash from cracking? Mine was perfect when I got my truck, but in the 2 years since I bought it, the dash has begun to crack... I've always taken good care of the interior of my truck, and have armor alled it every time I clean out the interior to keep it from drying out and cracking. Since mine has already gotten cracked now, how do I prevent it from spreading any farther?
Attached Thumbnails Preventing dash from cracking?-image-1465825698.jpg   Preventing dash from cracking?-image-318696966.jpg  
Old 08-30-2016, 08:12 AM

Received 489 Likes on 436 Posts

If it makes you feel any better, I am on my 3rd dash pad in 2 years. Also have a pretty substantial crack behind the dash pad, luckily out of view.

I don't really know what to do. I got my windows tinted and started leaving my windows cracked 24/7 when it isn't raining. I also started parking backwards in the driveway so the sun doesn't blast directly onto the dash. Maybe it will help?

They sell those dash covers to protect it but I cannot stand the way they look.
Old 08-30-2016, 08:16 AM

Received 502 Likes on 324 Posts

Dash Matt, Sun shade, garage or an old school trick rub it with Vaseline petroleum jelly.
Old 08-30-2016, 09:22 AM

Received 7 Likes on 6 Posts

Don't use armor all protectant! I worked at an automotive interior shop for 6 years. All the dash repairs/replacements we did had one thing in common... They coated the dash with armor all. The boss always told us never to use it because the sun basically cooks the armor all which cracks the dash.
Old 08-30-2016, 01:15 PM

Received 21 Likes on 14 Posts

Originally Posted by BLDTruth
If it makes you feel any better, I am on my 3rd dash pad in 2 years. Also have a pretty substantial crack behind the dash pad, luckily out of view. I don't really know what to do. I got my windows tinted and started leaving my windows cracked 24/7 when it isn't raining. I also started parking backwards in the driveway so the sun doesn't blast directly onto the dash. Maybe it will help? They sell those dash covers to protect it but I cannot stand the way they look.
those dash covers are ugly as sin lol. I can't stand them either. My windows are tinted and I always leave my windows cracked but when I'm on job sites we have to park our trucks out of the way, often in a big open gravel parking lot, so I have no real way to keep it out of the sun
Old 08-30-2016, 02:48 PM

Received 489 Likes on 436 Posts

Your best bet is probably to find a "new" dash from a parts car. Luckily you have what looks to be light grey, the most common color used in these trucks. Something will come along if you keep your eye out.
Old 08-30-2016, 11:34 PM

Received 15 Likes on 9 Posts

It may be a bit pricey but I asked my upholsterer if he can design and make a dash cover for my 95 F-150 XLT Arizona truck. Thank heavens previous owner (I am second owner) had a really tacky grey rough carpeted dask mat. Ugly and not with my snake skin theme on headliner (see flareside photos). Marc torg of Prescott valley said he could make a custom dash mat with boa or python faux leather (eBay) used in the headliner and visors. Sounds like a good Chrismas present for me. Dear Santa...
Old 09-01-2016, 08:44 PM

Received 255 Likes on 184 Posts

Originally Posted by moetown1986
Don't use armor all protectant! I worked at an automotive interior shop for 6 years. All the dash repairs/replacements we did had one thing in common... They coated the dash with armor all. The boss always told us never to use it because the sun basically cooks the armor all which cracks the dash.
Exactly. The Armor All is the issue. If you use anything on the dash use this stuff. It'll keep the dash looking stock like it should and won't cause cracks. That stuff and a window shade will help keep that dash from getting worse.

Aerospace 303 Protectant

Last edited by Crownman; 09-01-2016 at 08:48 PM.
The following users liked this post:
moetown1986 (09-01-2016)
Old 11-21-2016, 10:35 PM

Received 33 Likes on 30 Posts

My dash was never taken care of, so it was never treated with anything but dust, so it's basically perfect, the only thing i ever use to clean is water with a drop or two of dish soap on any of my vehicles interiors, never cared for the greasy shiny look, leeches moisture out of everything anyways.

The following users liked this post:
Sea Jolly (01-09-2017)
Old 01-14-2017, 10:20 PM
I am prepared

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Energized, I am fixed on the carbon fiber covered toggle switch, and the HAL 9000 looking thing'ama'bob. what do they do, sir?

Quick Reply: Preventing dash from cracking?