Topic Sponsor

stripping a door.

Search this Thread

Old 04-28-2019, 07:33 PM

Received 132 Likes on 122 Posts
Default stripping a door.

So i am stripping down a door so That I can put it onto my 89 standard cab. The shell is in good shape, and all of the hardware is in pretty good shape, but not as good as the stuff in my old door. So I am replacing as much of it as I can. I already removed the interior handle, the speaker, the window glass, and a few other small things. But I still have to get the exterior handle and the lock out. I undid the two mounts that hold the handle in, but I cant figure out how to remove the part that attaches to the button on the handle, I can see a screw on it, but I have no idea how a screw driver would fit in the door. I have no idea how to get the lock out, and because the door is from a junkyard, I dont have a key which I hope doesnt matter. There are instructions in the haynes manual, but they are kind of confusing to me. So Im just wondering if anybody knows how to really remove the lock and exterior handle.
Old 04-29-2019, 01:44 AM

Received 1,731 Likes on 1,487 Posts

Unhook the operating rod from the exterior handle, and it comes out. Leave that screw alone. The lock cylinder is released by sliding out its clip visible on the rear face of the door. For plenty of pics & details, click my signature link, scroll down to the "Doors" album, and read the captions.

Quick Reply: stripping a door.