Topic Sponsor

Door swap questions

Search this Thread

Old 06-08-2018, 08:08 AM

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Default Door swap questions

Hello all!

the truck is a 91’ x-cab long bed. Before me it has been to hell and I am not really sure if it has made back, however I think it is on its way back.

It has had at one point been wrecked, at least I think.
To much body filler on door(s) and hood.

I hate the swing mirrors, so I pulled them off and put on the power mirrors. I am not sure but I don’t think they came in to play until maybe 92-93 maybe later.

Regardless if I can find a non wrecked door that came with those power mirrors, and it does not have power locks and windows, here is the question.

Does anyone one know if possible, how hard is it to change from manual to power?

Thanks in advance

Mike
Old 06-08-2018, 05:49 PM

Received 489 Likes on 436 Posts

Well, lets put it this way - I am about to swap power mirrors into my 94, and in order to that with factory wiring, I have to replace both door harnesses and pull the dash to run the wires across for the master switch. On a 91, I think you are screwed because they didn't even have power mirrors, so there are no factory harnesses to be had. To use a 94-ish harness would require a lot of wiring changes - it would probably be easier to find an entire dash and just convert it to that style.

There might be an easier way that I do not know of.
Old 06-08-2018, 05:58 PM

Being an electrician ive already taken care of the wiring. I have the mirrors mounted to the old doors and operational.

My concern is if I find decent doors that already came with the mirrors but might not have the locks and windows that were powered, how hard it would be to make them that way.
Old 06-08-2018, 06:09 PM

A hat tip then to you, good sir.

If a door has power mirrors, it will have power windows and locks too - On the 92-96 models the power mirror switch is integrated into the driver's side power lock/window switch and the power mirror harness is all tied up with the lock and window harnesses. It would be really strange to have a door with power mirrors and no power locks and windows....even if it didn't have it my guess is the wiring would be there.
Old 06-08-2018, 07:00 PM

Good to know!

Everytime the other mirrors would always seem to get out of adjustment every time you shut the door. Sometimes the power isn’t much better, but at least I can adjust them without having to move.

I dont know if the OE had vibration in them while driving but the aftermarket that I have do.
Old 06-08-2018, 07:59 PM

Originally Posted by okc lube man
Good to know!

Everytime the other mirrors would always seem to get out of adjustment every time you shut the door. Sometimes the power isn’t much better, but at least I can adjust them without having to move.

I dont know if the OE had vibration in them while driving but the aftermarket that I have do.
All the aftermarket mirrors for these trucks vibrate...OEM is the only way to go in my opinion. I got a set for $50 from the junkyard. New coat of black paint and good as new...ish.
Old 06-09-2018, 11:24 AM

Received 1,731 Likes on 1,487 Posts

The captions in this photo album explain most of what you need to know:

(phone app link)

Quick Reply: Door swap questions