Topic Sponsor

Changing to electric windows/locks

Search this Thread

Old 01-05-2020, 04:52 PM
Call me Rod, it's OK.

Received 7 Likes on 4 Posts
Default Changing to electric windows/locks

I've got a 96 F150 XL ... Steve, I'm working on my Signature file ... and have found a nicer set of doors than I have for dirt cheap but they are electric windows and mine are manual. Is the wiring there to make this switch easy or should I just forget it?

I'm spoiled from the easy addition of Factory Cruise, I'll admit.
Old 01-05-2020, 05:30 PM

Received 489 Likes on 436 Posts

Originally Posted by saguaro_squeezer
I've got a 96 F150 XL ... Steve, I'm working on my Signature file ... and have found a nicer set of doors than I have for dirt cheap but they are electric windows and mine are manual. Is the wiring there to make this switch easy or should I just forget it?

I'm pretty sure you'd have to pull the dash to run the wiring across. When people ask me about these types of projects, I suggest trying to find all the wiring from the same truck and transferring it all over at once. Usually this means dash, doors, and cab floor harnesses at a minimum. For a 96 it is even trickier because a lot of the wiring is different for the OBD2 stuff. If the donor truck is not a 96 F150 then I would worry about wiring differences.
Old 01-05-2020, 05:37 PM
Call me Rod, it's OK.

Thanks, BLDTruth. Not worth it for a nicer set of mirrors. I figured if it was plug and play, I might do it.
Old 01-06-2020, 12:26 AM

Received 1,735 Likes on 1,490 Posts

It depends on exactly how much of the doors & their wiring you're getting; what year they are & what options BOTH trucks have; and how much wiring you're willing to do. Potentially, (under just the right set of conditions) it could be PnP. But you're going to have to spend some time filling in your signature for your truck, and then finding nearly as much info about the door donor before I could really answer you.
Old 01-07-2020, 07:10 PM
Just call me sean. Really

Received 153 Likes on 106 Posts

Originally Posted by saguaro_squeezer

If your 96 XL is like my 94 XL, then the wire harness doesn't even have the wires on it for factory power windows/locks/mirrors. Just like my XL doesn't have the proper harness for me to hook up the power lumbar in the bench seat I got from an Eddie Bauer truck.

That being said, it's not terribly difficult to wire up the switches to the motors and to a power source. But doing it, and wanting the truck to be 100% factory still, is going to require a lot of wiring, possibly a different cab harness entirely
Old 01-07-2020, 07:36 PM
Call me Rod, it's OK.

Well, it doesn't sound worth it at this point. But I do appreciate everyone's feedback. Thank you.
Old 01-07-2020, 09:08 PM

Received 1,735 Likes on 1,490 Posts

It was worth it for me - twice. And I may do it again to my '95 F150.

AFAIK, every '92-96 F150's main (dash) wiring harness is built for PW/PL/PM. They're in C200 & C229:

(phone app link)
Old 01-08-2020, 09:59 AM

Received 489 Likes on 436 Posts

Yeah I would say its worth it once you have it done - but if I were going to do it, I would find a donor truck with all of the features I wanted and rob it of all of its wiring.

I recently did a complete swap of my dash, doors, and cab floor harnesses so I could get factory power mirrors, keyless entry, and anti-theft. It wasn't easy but it is worth it.
Old 08-08-2020, 09:28 PM

Received 32 Likes on 21 Posts

Steve83
I just realized after reading your signature and some of your photos that we have the same color truck/issues. My driver door lip (under the weatherstrip) was also rusted about the size of a quarter. I cleaned it up and sealed it, and plan to install the caulking backer rod into the old weatherstrip for now.

Quick Reply: Changing to electric windows/locks