Topic Sponsor

Swapping open rear end to limited slip

Search this Thread

Old 03-14-2019, 02:21 AM

Received 7 Likes on 3 Posts
Default Swapping open rear end to limited slip

Greetings,

After all of the snow we had this year, I'm really starting to hate the open rear in my 93. Looking around a bit, I see that there are center section kits that you can buy that are already set up. Essentially, I'd like to get away with pulling the axles, replacing the center section, and popping in a limited slip center section. Of course, rear axle bearings and seals would be replaced, and if the ring gear isn't too worn/torn up I'd just swap that over to the new carrier as well. Any pitfalls I'd be looking at? I know better than to mess with the Pinion, and the seal and everything seemed good and not leaking when I pulled the driveshaft last summer. I'm currently not seeing any issues with the rear end at all. I'm not planning on changing the gear ratio at all. The diff fluid is likely 20 plus years old, but I'm not changing it out until I tackle this project. I'm so sick of a one wheel peel on ice. My 96 Explorer has a limited slip in the rear, and its so much easier to get going on bad days. I'm not sure if a limited slip is available for the front, but that would be nice as well. Any pros/cons with a limited slip vs a locker in the rear?

Thanks in advance!
Old 03-14-2019, 08:49 PM

Received 124 Likes on 94 Posts

Easy swap just make sure you get the 31 spline carrier not the 28 spline.
Old 03-14-2019, 09:47 PM

Received 489 Likes on 436 Posts

Get the ford racing 31 spline 8.8 cobra trac-lok differential - can't be beat for the money. I have it in my truck and its great:
https://www.summitracing.com/parts/f...RoCDbgQAvD_BwE.
If you are switching carriers then I am 98% certain you need to re-do the shims to get the backlash/pattern right. And if it were me I wouldn't think of doing it unless I was replacing the pinion bearings and seal. Those will go before anything else in the rear end.

Limited slips/lockers are available for the front but generally not necessary for street use. I wouldn't consider adding one unless you drive in the snow or mud a lot.

If you want to go the really cheap route, just find a complete rear end with the same gear ratio and a limited slip from a local junkyard. Pop it open, put in new clutch packs and oil, make sure the brakes and internals are ok, and send it.
Old 03-14-2019, 10:25 PM

Received 7 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by BLDTruth
Get the ford racing 31 spline 8.8 cobra trac-lok differential - can't be beat for the money. I have it in my truck and its great:
https://www.summitracing.com/parts/f...RoCDbgQAvD_BwE.
If you are switching carriers then I am 98% certain you need to re-do the shims to get the backlash/pattern right. And if it were me I wouldn't think of doing it unless I was replacing the pinion bearings and seal. Those will go before anything else in the rear end.

Limited slips/lockers are available for the front but generally not necessary for street use. I wouldn't consider adding one unless you drive in the snow or mud a lot.

If you want to go the really cheap route, just find a complete rear end with the same gear ratio and a limited slip from a local junkyard. Pop it open, put in new clutch packs and oil, make sure the brakes and internals are ok, and send it.
I was looking at the cobra, and I like it I was also looking a t a true-trac... and I'm liking how it is all gears. I used to be in the military, so I'm familiar with how those types of differentials work.
Old 03-14-2019, 10:29 PM

Received 1,264 Likes on 1,083 Posts

Originally Posted by Axios
if the ring gear isn't too worn/torn up I'd just swap that over to the new carrier as well. Any pitfalls I'd be looking at?
Better study up on it. You can't just buy a new ring gear and put it in with an old pinion gear. That would have been a big mistake. They wear in together, and have to match for each ratio, so are basically a set.

Many options, it's a pretty easy DIY project with many ways to get a bad result.
Old 03-16-2019, 10:13 AM

Received 489 Likes on 436 Posts

Originally Posted by Axios
I was looking at the cobra, and I like it I was also looking a t a true-trac... and I'm liking how it is all gears. I used to be in the military, so I'm familiar with how those types of differentials work.
True Trac's are great - but if I were spending that much I'd spend a little more and go with the torsen:
https://www.summitracing.com/parts/fms-m-4204-t31

Quick Reply: Swapping open rear end to limited slip