Topic Sponsor

96 f150 exhaust

Search this Thread

Old 03-23-2019, 05:56 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default 96 f150 exhaust

I have a 96 f150 302 auto and am in the middle of taking down trans for repair/rebuild and ofcourse the exhaust system needs to be removed?.The system is 23 years old and can see its been repaired many times so im thinking of replacing the 8 to 1 system and going with 2,4 to one duel pipes and need to know what am I to do with the 1 o2 sensor down stream as its on a single pipe what to do with it when it becomes a duel system.???Any help would be great
Old 03-23-2019, 01:38 PM

Received 1,731 Likes on 1,487 Posts

Why would you intentionally build it wrong? It works best the way Ford designed it - they know the most about how their engines run, and how the exhaust should be designed. Breaking up the cylinder banks will unbalance the exhaust stream, making the engine louder, less fuel-efficient, and less-powerful. It will also increase emissions, which is illegal everywhere - even if there are no local inspections right now. The best fix is a direct-replacement Y-pipe with legal cats, a direct-replacement muffler, and a direct-replacement tailpipe. This & the NEXT several captions explain what I put on my '93 5.8L:

(phone app link)

This & the NEXT several show them being installed:

(phone app link)

This shows how to find exhaust leaks:

(phone app link)

This shows how to fix them at the heads:

(phone app link)

Note that you should NOT replace the oxygen sensors unless they're mechanically damaged or chemically contaminated.

(phone app link)

(phone app link)

Quick Reply: 96 f150 exhaust