Topic Sponsor

No spark situation

Old 12-17-2018, 07:17 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Default No spark situation

I'm t the end of my rope. My truck died (1990 bronco 5.0 5 speed) without any warning. Running great, then dead.

So I've gone through the troubleshooting process and I've come up empty. New ignition coil, ICM , and distributor.

So what I've got now is no Spark. The PIP sensor is activating, but it seems like the icm isn't sending the spark to the coil. The troubleshooting method I referenced said that my ICM is bad. I figured that was unlikely, given the fact that I already put in a new distributor (with a new PIP and ICM) but I replaced it anyway. Still nothing. Given the fact that everything has power and I replaced everything, I am truly at a loss.

Does anybody have any ideas?

The article I referenced : https://troubleshootmyvehicle.com/fo...t-a-no-start-1
Old 12-19-2018, 11:14 AM

Received 1,731 Likes on 1,487 Posts

Originally Posted by cfoster1
...1990 bronco 5.0 5 speed...
All the truck's details need to be in your signature so we can find them when we need to, as this caption explains:

(phone app link)
New ignition coil, ICM , and distributor.
If your troubleshooting led you nowhere, why did you replace those random parts? With what (brand, PN, & source)? Did you keep the originals? I'd put them back in & return the new ones.
The PIP sensor is activating, but it seems like the icm isn't sending the spark to the coil.
"Seems" seems like you haven't really diagnosed the fault.
...I replaced everything...
No, you only replaced a few parts, which is NOT diagnosis or repair. If you had "replaced everything", you'd be in a new truck.
The article I referenced...
Click this, read the caption, get a Haynes, and read it. At some point, you need to read it cover-to-cover at least once so you know what's in it. But you can start by reading the Troubleshooting chapter (before Ch.1) and then Ch.5.

(phone app link)

But there are MANY known problems with '87-91 Ford trucks that might cause a sudden stall, besides the ignition system (which IS a big problem). Click these & read the captions:

(phone app link)

(phone app link)

(phone app link)

(phone app link)

(phone app link)

(phone app link)

But DON'T just replace those parts (other than the relays - they should be swapped ASAP) until you KNOW which one is causing your current symptom. If you can't ID anything, and you still want to do something that could help, read the captions in this album:

(phone app link)
Old 06-02-2019, 12:23 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Icm,distibutor and coil have power,but...Still no spark?

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: No spark situation