Topic Sponsor

M5R2 trans questions

Search this Thread

Old 07-16-2017, 01:15 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default M5R2 trans questions

Hey guys, I have a couple of things I've been trying to figure out on my mom's truck with it finally being back in the road after two years sitting with a blown engine. I've searched around but haven't found any examples just like mine, so here goes.

It's a '90 F-150 XLT Lariat with the 5.0L and M5R2 trans. Whenever I go to engage a gear (I believe this happens in every gear) there is an audible clunk or thud type of sound as I apply the pressure to move the fork to engage the gear. The transmission was rebuilt a few years ago. Is this just characteristic of these units or is there a potential issue?

My other concern is that as I engage the clutch after a shift into any gear (mostly happens in the forward gears), there is a clunk - sometimes two - as I let up on the clutch pedal, no matter how gently I do it. It doesn't happen every time, but it happens a lot. The clutch, throwout bearing, pilot bearing and flywheel are brand new. I'm suspecting U-joints going bad, but just wanted to see what other possibilities are out there.

Thanks in advance!
Old 07-18-2017, 11:13 PM

Received 32 Likes on 32 Posts

good be a few things? any ideas where the clunks are coming from? oly you will be able to tell if the u joints are bad. check the transmission mount, and the motor mounts as well.

make sure theres enough oil in the transmission as well. the mazda is "fairly smooth" for a truck transmission. shouldnt be clunking.
Old 07-19-2017, 09:12 AM

Originally Posted by justintendo
good be a few things? any ideas where the clunks are coming from? oly you will be able to tell if the u joints are bad. check the transmission mount, and the motor mounts as well.

make sure theres enough oil in the transmission as well. the mazda is "fairly smooth" for a truck transmission. shouldnt be clunking.
I checked the U-joints and there definitely appears to be a little slop, so we'll be replacing those. I believe the unit was properly filled the last time I checked. I'll look into getting the trans mount replaced too. Engine mounts are brand new.
Old 08-27-2017, 11:33 AM

Got the U-joints replaced but the problem still exists. I've had suggestions ranging from rebuilding the shifter to replacing the transmission mount to excessive lash in the rear diff. I have plans to replace the mount and I figure checking the lash is easy enough, but removing and overhauling the shifter seems like it may have its setbacks. Recommendations? Anybody else had this problem before?
Old 08-30-2017, 09:28 PM

Received 708 Likes on 671 Posts

Doesn't really sound like a shifter thing.
Crawl under and lift on the back of the trans (or use a jack) to see if it's broken or not.
No sense fixing things that aren't broke.
Old 09-24-2017, 09:50 PM

How are the pedal box bushings..that could account for the klunk while releasing the clutch...

Last edited by Lou Morong; 09-24-2017 at 09:53 PM. Reason: adding link to mentioned topic