Topic Sponsor

noisy start and 2nd gear stiff

Search this Thread

Old 09-18-2017, 08:58 PM
bspratt22

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Question noisy start and 2nd gear stiff

Purchased 1996 F150 Eddie Bauer 4.9; 5 speed manual; 209K. Fun to drive, little sloshy through turns. Anyhow, when you start the engine cold it almost sounds like a diesel engine for about 2 or 3 seconds before sounding good. Is this normal? Any thoughts on this? Also, put a shifter rebuild kit in to tighten things up which has worked great. However still a little trouble with 2nd gear. It actually works perfect until things warm up. Then it gets a little stiff, sometimes you hear the synchro working other times very mild grind. Of course I'm hoping that something could be replaced from the top like a fork if thats the cause. But not knowing anything about transmissions I will probably take it to a guy I trust. BTW, I did have the tranny oil changed last week with whatever (ATF) fluid was recm'd by this forum. It might of helped a little but need to find out how expensive this fix will be. Other than that the truck seems solid for an antique with the miles on. Thanks for any ideas here - Bill
Old 09-19-2017, 12:27 PM
bspratt22

Default update on the tranny

currently sticker shock - the tranny guy that I thought was pretty honest told me I needed a fork and synchro and "while we are doing those" lets rebuild the whole thing and do the clutch while at it $2500 out the door! Almost passed out since I paid $2200 for the truck. It currently drives fine except the occasional hard going into 2nd gear. May have to cut our losses here and get what I can for the truck. Anyone in the tampa bay area who does transmission work on the side? : ) Thanks - Bill
Old 09-20-2017, 09:01 AM
bspratt22

Default manual transmission rebuild - DIY?

Guys I know this forum rocks - need to call on some experience with anyone who has rebuilt one of these M5OD-R2. I am fairly mechanical; can bike to work while taking this project on. I am assuming the clutch would be replaced at the same time? Is this realistic? I have seen a youtube video or two where guys have done this but...the parts are reasonable - its all labor from my perspective. What do you guys think? Really would like to hold on to this vehicle thanks - Bill
Old 09-21-2017, 07:09 AM

Received 260 Likes on 190 Posts

I learn about most of the things I do to my vehicles by watching youtube videos, along with a repair manual. Keep on watching the youtube videos and 'you' decide if you can take it on or not. Good luck
Old 09-21-2017, 06:59 PM
bspratt22

Default 2nd gear not so smooth

Thanks David - a friend of mine also suggested a rebuilt transmission from Everdrive $795 free shipping 3 yr warranty. That sounds like a decent option also...
Old 09-25-2017, 10:31 PM

Received 32 Likes on 32 Posts

what kind of oil filter are you using? those with less quality or defective anti drainback valves will cause the symptom you have upon startup. i prefer wix (napa gold) for good cost/performance.

what fluid is being used in the transmission? atf is correct, and something not "low viscosity" like the newest fluids. unless you really know what you are doing, do not use additives in there. does the clutch feel good and stiff? it could be not completely engaging but its likely the synchro is a bit damaged or tired. proper technique also helps shifting.
the price you were quoted is probably almost decent, considering a good new transmission is going to be 1500 plus a new clutch kit. super easy transmission to change out.
i would install a jasper if it were mine and i wanted to keep it. they arent the cheapest but are a good product.
The following users liked this post:
bspratt22 (09-26-2017)
Old 09-26-2017, 07:10 AM
bspratt22

Fram oil filter - but will make sure the next one is the NAPA to try...clutch is okay though rides a little high; I find that if I shift slowly and carefully (baby) this guy it does fine though you can still hear the synchro at times. Good to know that the tranny swap is easy how about the clutch replacement?
Old 09-26-2017, 05:36 PM

Received 32 Likes on 32 Posts

the is a bit "higher" on these trucks in general..its possible you may be trying to shift it too fast. hard to say with out being there. i would swap the filter if the truck is constantly dry starting.
the clutch kit and throwout bearing is very straightforward..once the transmission is out
The following users liked this post:
bspratt22 (09-26-2017)
Old 09-26-2017, 06:06 PM
bspratt22

ok last question if I take the tranny out and do the clutch kit & bearing; if 2nd gear is my only minor problem - and occasionally stubborn getting into 1st from sitting at light; is it too risky or too difficult to replace say just the 1st and 2nd gear forks and synchros - put all back together and be finished? This would be like $200 no more than $250 plus sweat. My truck can be down for a week even 2 that is no problem.