Topic Sponsor

Can’t get engine back in

Search this Thread

Old 02-07-2019, 02:17 AM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Can’t get engine back in

hey all

im having trouble getting the 302 back into my 87 f150 xlt. Got it out to do a reseal but I can’t get the motor mounts back into it. Also having trouble getting it to line up with the trans. Any tips or tricks? My landlords want to send it to impound in two days if I can’t get it up and running and I work tomorrow, meaning I’ve only got tomorrow night and Friday morning to get the motor back in. It doesn’t have to run perfect, just enough to move it down the street to another parking space lol

thanks
mike
Old 02-07-2019, 10:25 AM

Received 489 Likes on 436 Posts

Its not what you want to hear, but its alot easier to do when either (1) the transmission is removed so you aren't trying to mate up two things at once, or (2) the transmission is attached to the engine on install.

It also helps to have a second or even third pair of hands.
Old 02-07-2019, 12:34 PM

Would i be able to drop the AOD trans and keep it under the truck while i got the engine back in, then just lift it back up and reattach the driveshaft and whatnot? What's the best way to go about pulling the trans?
Old 02-07-2019, 02:50 PM

Yeah but before doing all of that make sure the transmission is the reason why it isn't going in. To uninstall the transmission completely will take time it sounds like you don't really have. But if you need to, the driveshaft(s) have to come off, transmission crossmember must be dropped, all shift cable/electronics detached, etc. If its 4WD you have to pull the 4WD floor shifter and disconnect the linkage. And then you need a tranny jack or something that can safely drop it and raise it.
Old 02-07-2019, 05:47 PM

I got the tranny mount undone and got the driveshaft pulled. I got my jack underneath it and slid it back just an inch or so, and the engine dropped right in! Now I can't get the engine and the trans to quite line up. Any tricks for this one?
Old 02-07-2019, 06:11 PM

Originally Posted by Michael Lewis
I got the tranny mount undone and got the driveshaft pulled. I got my jack underneath it and slid it back just an inch or so, and the engine dropped right in! Now I can't get the engine and the trans to quite line up. Any tricks for this one?
Patience and a lot of wiggling and adjusting of the tranny jack. I know when doing manual transmissions it helps to have some longer bolts so you can anchor one or two points to kind of suck it in - engine stand bolts work ideally for this sort of thing.
Old 02-07-2019, 06:30 PM

So maybe get it pretty close to lined up, and then try to pull it on with some long bolts?

Trending Topics

Old 02-07-2019, 07:01 PM

So maybe get it pretty close to lined up, and then try to pull it on with some long bolts?
Yep, carefully
Old 02-08-2019, 12:24 AM

Now my issue is my torque converter studs aren't wanting to go through the holes in the flywheel, everything else seems to be lined up and I've got a couple long bolts in that have pulled the trans almost all the way onto the engine. Just didn't wanna tighten them all the way if I was gonna damage the studs in the converter. Any suggestions?
Old 02-08-2019, 12:45 AM
Super Moderator

Received 2,709 Likes on 1,426 Posts

Now my issue is my torque converter studs aren't wanting to go through the holes in the flywheel, everything else seems to be lined up and I've got a couple long bolts in that have pulled the trans almost all the way onto the engine. Just didn't wanna tighten them all the way if I was gonna damage the studs in the converter. Any suggestions?
Did you mark the bolt holes for the torq converter ?
You might not be lined up on the right holes.

If that doesn't help put a jack with a block of wood under the back of the engine and jack it up slowly and care fully until things line up.

Quick Reply: Can’t get engine back in