Topic Sponsor

Bit of a transmission mount problem.

Search this Thread

Old 03-02-2015, 04:16 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Exclamation Bit of a transmission mount problem.

Hey all,
I've got a bit of a problem here. I just purchased a 1995 F150 4x4 with the 5.0 and a 5 speed transmission. Anytime I accelerate too hard or release the clutch with normal speed, the truck shakes/jerks. You have to be really smooth with it to prevent this. Having mechanical knowledge, I figured it had a bad transmission mount. So I investigated. Here's what I found.

The transmission is nice and tight on the drivers side, but here on the passengers side a chunk is actually missing from the transmission. half of the threaded hole to attach the transmission to the mount is actually gone. This explains the shaking as the transmission would jump up and down while driving. I'm going to cut a washer to fit in there as best I can and put a nut and bolt in there so at least I have something. Does anyone have any better, more secure ideas here? I'd like to have my transmission be attached to my vehicle. I appreciate the help guys, thanks.
Attached Thumbnails Bit of a transmission mount problem.-20150228_181247.jpg  
Old 03-02-2015, 07:08 AM
Bleeds blue

Received 137 Likes on 101 Posts

Thick flat washer and grind slots in it to match the ribs on the trans. You'll have to add something to the bolt hole to make the washer stay flat, maybe welding a half piece of pipe to the flat washer, or the washer will just slip off. It's not going to be great any way you rig it. Take it to a welding shop and have the add a piece onto it that you can drill and bolt down. Other than that, use a half bolt to match the half hole or replace the trans.
Old 03-02-2015, 08:31 AM

Received 708 Likes on 671 Posts

A "U" that goes under and over it with holes top and bottom might help it stay in place. It would lift the tranny 1/8" if that's the thickness of your metal but that shouldn't hurt. Still have to get creative with a grinder like ncranchero said, to make it fit into the ribs.

Quick Reply: Bit of a transmission mount problem.