Topic Sponsor

'93 F150 Universal Joints

Search this Thread

Old 08-11-2022, 12:13 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default '93 F150 Universal Joints

Who did their universals? Gears going in next week and I want to replace the universals as well. I just want to be sure that the universal joints, for a reg cab short bed four wheel drive 302 automatic, for front and rear one piece drive shafts will be different. Talked to some behind the shed mechanics that all four universals will be the same. Spicer is saying they are not though the auto parts store (won't mention names) is saying all four are the same. Spicer 5-1330X for the rear drive shaft and Spicer 5-7438x for the front drive shaft should be what Spicer is saying to use. Yet now I'm being told just buy four of the same, need some help here.
Old 08-11-2022, 05:59 AM

Received 502 Likes on 435 Posts

When you have the shafts off, check them for binding or any roughness. If they are smooth and no powdered rust is present, I would't have any issue reusing them..
I wouldn't take the advice too seriously of most "behind the shed" mechanics.

Last edited by raski; 08-11-2022 at 06:01 AM.
Old 08-11-2022, 05:24 PM

Just going to replace them. They'll be out and playing a guessing game with when they'll give out?...na....they'll be out so just replace with new.
Old 08-12-2022, 12:02 AM

Received 1,735 Likes on 1,490 Posts

This page explains how to ID u-joints by size:

(click this text)

Note that sealed u-joints are physically stronger, require less maintenance, and last longer than greasables.
Old 08-12-2022, 03:18 AM

um ya...it doesn't help seeing the companies I'm looking at really don't give specs. Unless I'm not looking in the right places for these companies or it's a tough find on these sites. If people want to help don't place links that don't help and think you're helping. Most of us new guys don't know where to look in these links.

Dude, I don't know who you are, yet I see you posting a lot trying to help and what you post imo doesn't help the people...nor I right now. Over 9k posts, I do hope three or five have been helped. Please imo you don't help, it seems your posts only to help your post count. I and other newish truck guys don't understand "here, heres a link look it up" ...its gibberish. we'all come here looking for help not to be shrugged off saying look it up in a link we don't know where to look in.

Making new thread to find help. Please lock.
Old 08-12-2022, 03:43 AM

Received 502 Likes on 435 Posts

A newbie with your attitude is not likely going to find much help with comments like that.
Old 08-12-2022, 04:23 AM

No attitude, just pointing things out. Though thanks for calling me a "newbie" as if was an insult, hope it makes you feel better.
Old 08-12-2022, 10:02 AM

Received 1,735 Likes on 1,490 Posts

I'm not here to spoonfeed you, or do anything for you. "Help" is just that - HELP. If you don't appreciate the help, you won't get any from now on.
The following users liked this post:
raski (08-13-2022)
Old 08-12-2022, 11:07 PM

Received 132 Likes on 122 Posts

In my experience, most online catalogs are inaccurate for u joints, just take the old ones with you when you get the replacements to make sure that they all match, and you can compare them all together to see if they are the same or not. If they are original, they will probably have part numbers on them.
Old 10-28-2022, 07:24 PM

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by Steve83
This page explains how to ID u-joints by size:

(click this text)

Note that sealed u-joints are physically stronger, require less maintenance, and last longer than greasables.
Interesting chart. I'm looking to replace my universal joints on my 1991 Ford F-150, 302, 2WD. I've searched multiple parts stores websites and they list a few options. I definitely want to get non-greaseable, Spicer brand. Multiple websites like AutoZone and Advanced Auto Parts say I need a certain part number and another site says it doesn't fit my truck. That starts the confusion.

What I've seen is that I need three u-joints - starting from the front there is: front drivershaft at transmission, rear driveshaft at center bearing, and rear driveshaft at rear axle. The descriptions on the auto parts websites is confusing. The non-greaseable Spicer u-joints are listed as part number 5-1330X. AutoZone description below. Does that description mean that I need 3 of the 5-1330X u-joints?

Non greaseable, Life Series. Rear Driveshaft at Transmission, 2 Piece Driveshaft (With 4 outside snap rings, Extended Cab) or 1 Piece Driveshaft. Rear Driveshaft At Rear Axle, 2 Piece Driveshaft (Extended cab) or 1 Piece Driveshaft. Rear Driveshaft at Support Bearing, 2 Piece Driveshaft (Standard cab, With 4 outside snap rings) or Extended cab

Quick Reply: '93 F150 Universal Joints