Topic Sponsor

89 Trans Question

Search this Thread

Old 09-02-2017, 07:01 AM

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Default 89 Trans Question

I have not driven my newly purchased 89 5.0 auto because of safety of cracked tires and questionable brakes. Yesterday I moved it from the driveway and noticed it takes some RPMs to get it to move. Like I want to inch it closer forward but it just didn't move. This truck has sat for a while. I am going to check the fluid but any thoughts? I am not sure what tranny is in there but assume the OD trans. What is a good trans that would hopefully bolt in if the need arises. I do hope in the future to build up this motor or get a crate motor. Thanks. Jim
Old 09-02-2017, 08:02 AM

Received 65 Likes on 60 Posts

Often one that has been sitting will leak enough fluid to exhibit the symptoms you describe. Top it off first & see if that is the problem. The leak itself may not be much of a problem, when they are driven frequently a lot of the fluid stays in the converter and such, but extended sitting allows it to drain back & maybe leak out a seal that would normally be above the water line, for lack of a better term.
Old 09-02-2017, 10:27 PM

Thank you.I need to get a few things straightened out ignition switch, front wheel stuck on, so I can take it out. I will keep you posted. Jim
Old 09-03-2017, 11:06 AM

Received 32 Likes on 32 Posts

are your brakes free? i bet thats the resistance to move issue.
i know when my ebrake is even partially on it struggles

Last edited by justintendo; 09-03-2017 at 11:11 AM.
Old 09-03-2017, 11:34 AM

Originally Posted by justintendo
are your brakes free? i bet thats the resistance to move issue.
i know when my ebrake is even partially on it struggles
Good question! I have only been able to get 1 wheel off. The fronts seem OK but I bet the ebrake is stuck. As soon as the remnants of Harvey pass I need to get back at it. Thanks. Jim
Old 09-23-2017, 07:44 AM

I still haven't taken it out on the road so I am not sure about the tranny yet. A friend has a C4 trans. Does that bolt up to the 89s 302? I figure dshaft would be a problem but I don't think electronics would. Thanks for any info. Jim