Topic Sponsor

89 5spd Manual Wont go into Reverse

Search this Thread

Old 02-24-2013, 04:59 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Question 89 5spd Manual Wont go into Reverse

Hi. I am hoping to save my old truck. My brother was driving it out in the snow yesterday..was rocking it out of the snow. Now it won't go into reverse or overdrive. Even when engine shut off. Clutch works normally..he is driving around in 4 gears now..but no reverse. It is a 300 6cyl. I am hoping I can save this old truck if I can afford it. It is a good truck. Any help I would be thankful. I am searching the local shops right now for someone to fix it. I do not have a garage..plus I had surgery on my shoulder.
Old 02-24-2013, 08:07 AM
It's a Canadian thing eh!

Received 195 Likes on 188 Posts

Because it won't go in either 5th or Rev, my guess is either the shift slot on the transmission cover broke, or the shift fork is worn/broken inside the transmission. Either way you need to take off the top cover of the transmission to determine whats wrong.

The transmission can be removed, or you can remove the seat and pull back the floor inside the truck to get the the transmission tunnel cover. Removing that will give you total access to the top of the transmission. If you pull the cover off, be sure the truck is in NEUTRAL. So set the parking brake or put blocks behind the wheels.

Highlighted is the part on the cover thats shifts the 5th/revers gear. In the second picture, item # 16 is the shift fork. If its the fork thats the problem, the transmission will need to be taken apart to fix and would est be a shop to do that. The 5th/rev slot can be fixed yourself if you order the parts.
Attached Thumbnails 89 5spd Manual Wont go into Reverse-screenshot195.jpg   89 5spd Manual Wont go into Reverse-screenshot196.jpg  
The following users liked this post:
carroll6 (02-26-2013)
Old 02-25-2013, 09:40 AM

Default Thanks Sylver

Thank you Sylver. One mechanic said it is the hydraulic pressure plate and wants $700 to pull the engine and fix it. It goes into the other 4 gears smoothly, normally. The clutch feels natural and all right.

It will not readily move over to the RIGHT Reverse/OD slot.. I have to sort of fiddle with it, moving the clutch. I will get it over there, then fiddle with the clutch some more, then it goes into gear. The reverse seems harder to get.

I am poor, but want to save that old truck. Everything works. A/C, cruise control. I live in a apt complex and the street is piled high from the snow plows..and more on the way tonight.

The trans. access, you are not just talking about the shift boot are you? Is there another cover to access the whole trans? THANK you for Helping.. no one seems to want to help.. they want that $$$ which I dont got. That's the way this 'hood is.

That dude wants $700 for the pressure plate. I am calling transmission shops now.. people's uncles..and even put a craigslist ad up. The shops in this 'hood are very "iffy". I have had them damage my vehicles badly "fixing" them.

Last edited by carroll6; 02-25-2013 at 10:13 AM. Reason: want to ad more.
Old 02-25-2013, 07:04 PM
We'd do it

Received 449 Likes on 402 Posts

That guy is an idiot. You don't pull the engine to change the pressure plate, and if it was the pressure plate you wouldn't have any gears. He just saw dollar signs when you walked in.
carroll6 (02-26-2013)
Old 02-25-2013, 07:19 PM

Received 163 Likes on 132 Posts

You'll have to access the top of the tranny to see whats going on. Maybe you couls pull that off and post up some pictures, don't disassemble anything, just take the top off like in the above diagram and put up pictures of top and bottom. It sounds like your brother bent a shift fork which should not be to expensive to fix. And keep your brother out of the truck unless he can afford to fix what he breaks.
carroll6 (02-26-2013)
Old 02-26-2013, 06:52 AM

Originally Posted by 13Harleyfan
You'll have to access the top of the tranny to see whats going on. Maybe you couls pull that off and post up some pictures, don't disassemble anything, just take the top off like in the above diagram and put up pictures of top and bottom. It sounds like your brother bent a shift fork which should not be to expensive to fix. And keep your brother out of the truck unless he can afford to fix what he breaks.
It snowed again last night. NOW.. there is a YouTube video about the shift boot..but none about the trans access.. it has the bench seats on it. Is there a FAQ about trans access somewhere? thanks for the replies. How I wish that people would take video as they tear stuff apart. This world would be a better place.

My old ISUZU trooper was that way. These mechanics ruined it trying to get the brake rotor off..heated it and heated it with a torch.

I emailed a shop in Minnesota that specializes in these trans.. there is a hopeful blurb about them..here. It says that this transmission is often misdiagnosed.
Old 02-26-2013, 07:35 AM
It's a Canadian thing eh!

Received 195 Likes on 188 Posts

Yeah that mechanic you talked to is screwing you major. Like whats been said If the pressure plate was gone, you would not be able to shift into any gear.

At most the transmission would need to be removed because of the repairs it might need. To make things allot easier, it might be better and less expensive to find a used transmission to save the cost and labor on having the old one properly diagnosed, dissembled, parts/repair and re-installation.

As for the transmission access, its as easy as removing the 4 bolts for the bench seat, removing the shifter and shift boot, pulling back the floor (I have rubber floor, not sure about carpet), then there is a large cover in the middle that can be unscrewed and sometimes glued. After that you have total access to the top cover of the transmission.

Last edited by sylver91; 02-26-2013 at 07:37 AM.
carroll6 (02-26-2013)
Old 02-26-2013, 09:37 AM
We'd do it

Received 449 Likes on 402 Posts

Here's the plate:

89 5spd Manual Wont go into Reverse-forumrunner_20130226_093723.jpg
carroll6 (02-26-2013)
Old 02-26-2013, 01:47 PM

Originally Posted by sylver91
Yeah that mechanic you talked to is screwing you major. Like whats been said If the pressure plate was gone, you would not be able to shift into any gear.

At most the transmission would need to be removed because of the repairs it might need. To make things allot easier, it might be better and less expensive to find a used transmission to save the cost and labor on having the old one properly diagnosed, dissembled, parts/repair and re-installation.
Thank Sylver. Very kind of you guys to respond. I had that same thought.."find a used one." There are many listed on Craigslist. Now I am googling "what transmission will Fit F150 6cyl?" There are many C6 Automatics on there for a cheap price, but that might cost more in fabrication. I am hoping to get more use out of the truck. I thought that old truck would outlive ME.

Whoops found the answer! It might be done, but swapping to Automatic would be a pain. From what I gather from Google search, it is far better to have the same exact transmission. The 4speeds will require more modification. I am not looking to get jinky.. it isn't fancy but it is a good truck. Hate to see the 6cyl sold to the chinese for scrap. It just seems like blasphemy to melt it down for the metal.

Last edited by carroll6; 02-26-2013 at 02:03 PM. Reason: add info
Old 02-26-2013, 02:28 PM

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

I got a 4spd manual with o/d with the driveshaft and cross member also the flywheel but i would get a new one. I put a 5 speed in mine because i thought that it would help on the mileage. I was wrong, but just an idea.
carroll6 (02-26-2013)

Quick Reply: 89 5spd Manual Wont go into Reverse