Topic Sponsor

4.9l. Catalytic converter

Search this Thread

Old 07-18-2017, 05:24 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default 4.9l. Catalytic converter

Has anyone had any issues putting new catalytic converters on there truck? I am having trouble getting the pipes lined up with the manifolds. Any help would be greatly appreciated!
Old 07-29-2017, 01:53 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default I just dropped & gutted mine, but would install new ones the same way.

Meaning I hack-sawed the two inlets into the front CC, then disconnected the rear one from the remaining rear pipe, then dropped both in a single piece.

I then gutted both, patched the holes with sheet metal, then rehung them as one piece using self fabricated connectors on the front cat.

Your application might even be simpler in theory, because the inlets to the front cat should just slip over the cutoff twin pipes. Support the front cat with a jackstand or 2, then slip the rear pipe into the front pipe using another jackstand to stabilize it.

At that point wiggle/hammer-tap everything together from the back cat towards the 2 front pipes, until both cats are seated together, and into the front pipes.

When all's lined up, drill a few pilot holes for a few sheet metal screws in the cat inlets to stabilize everything, then drive slowly & gently to the nearest welding shop to run beads around the 3 connections.

I hope I explained well enough for you to visualize it - good luck!