Topic Sponsor

93 351 no CEL bulb test, misses

Search this Thread

Old 07-05-2017, 01:15 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default 93 351 no CEL bulb test, misses

I've got a 93 4x4 with automatic transmission I got from family that "ran when it was parked" about a year and a half ago. It has had squirrels in the engine bay but damage to wiring was minimal. Replaced a ground strap, 2 vacuum lines at what I'm pretty sure was idle air control on top of the intake manifold, repaired harness to VSS at differential.
Truck now runs but has a miss and what I suspect is unrelated but a pretty decent exhaust leak at the manifold on passenger side. Replaced plugs and wires because they were original (97k miles on the truck) and problem is still there.
Next step was find a paperclip and read codes. When I went to do that, I discovered that my CEL is not coming on for bulb check. only getting a battery light and ABS light on bulb check. The diagnostic port is chewed but not shorted to anything so I have not worried about it yet. I am not finding any other obvious rodent damage. Does someone have a direction to point to possibly find what wiring these nasty fuzzy tailed rats ate? I do not believe they ever got into the truck, just under the hood and under the truck.
Old 07-29-2017, 02:02 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Well, since you have no answers I can't do any harm making a suggestion, n'est pas?

It it was me, (and it often is) I'd use my tried & true Harbor Freight gadgets that connect to the plugs and visually show you the spark in a clear tube on each plug that is firing. If one cylinder has no spark, then "bingo", you have the culprit cylinder.

Bear in mind that's just the first test, but you have to start somewhere. No matter what the results, they will indicate the next step.