Topic Sponsor

1989 4x4 Auto Stuck

Search this Thread

Old 09-10-2012, 07:33 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default 1989 4x4 Auto Stuck

I'm a newbie when it come to 4x4 and I don't really understand differentials, as you'll see. Mine is a simple street truck, nothing fancy. I use it to launch my boat and the real axel is in the salt water regularly. I say this because I suspect this fact is the cause of problems. I went to move the truck the other day in my yard, and the RR wheel dug a hole before I knew it! It did this repeatedly in 2x and 4x. Seems like the transfer case is working. I haven't gotten under the truck to view the driveline to the front wheels as I'm working by myself. It just occured to me to set the phone camera looking at the driveline while I try things! Anyway, one wheel spins and truck doesn't move. In weeks past, when I've started out, there has been some hesitation and a bang and I'm imagining a rear wheel bearing that is stuck and breaking free. Would a LR frozen wheel bearing cause the RR wheel to spin and not move the truck?

Any ideas, suggestions about how to troubleshoot would be appreciated. I'm in town and the truck is 20 miles away so I'm trying to diagnos and repair from afar. Try something, get discouraged, run outta time, forget stuff, try again. Thanks for reading.
Old 09-12-2012, 09:46 PM

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Could be a stuck parking brake too.
The following users liked this post:
Ellwebs (09-13-2012)

Quick Reply: 1989 4x4 Auto Stuck