Topic Sponsor

unknown hose

Search this Thread

Old 09-04-2018, 11:59 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default unknown hose

Got a '95 F150 2W. Over the rear axle on the drivers side is a junction block for the brake lines. One brake line feeds and two go to the left and right wheels. There is also another line coming off the block that is a rubber hose. It broke away from somewhere but I can't figure out where. Ideas?
One other thing. Put a new thermostat in this spring. Can't get the temp up to a decent operating temp. 93 degrees out and barely in the normal range. I mean just barely over the cold line. Again ideas?

Last edited by Hatchetface; 09-05-2018 at 03:21 AM.
Old 09-05-2018, 11:18 AM

Received 1,731 Likes on 1,487 Posts

Click this & read the caption:

(phone app link)
Old 09-12-2018, 01:49 PM

Received 708 Likes on 671 Posts

It's a vent hose for the interior of the diff housing. The bolt that holds the junction block is hollow.
The other end of the hose is usually clipped up onto the frame somewhere so it doesn't suck dirt and such back in as it cools.
The following users liked this post:
Hatchetface (09-15-2018)
Old 04-04-2021, 11:33 AM
Weenie Hut Junior Member

Originally Posted by Steve83
Click this & read the caption:

(phone app link)
First time poster long time reader, user, appreciator. Thanks to all of you, especially Steve83. From Steves pics i see that the drain hose is plugged. Mine has been leaking since the other day when i put new front pads in. Had to squeeze the calipers down of course. Question: should i plug it and what with?
Old 04-04-2021, 02:35 PM

What "drain hose" are you talking about? The front brakes have no effect on the vent hose that this thread is about. Put ALL your truck's details into your signature as this page explains:

(click this text)
Old 04-04-2021, 03:03 PM

Received 237 Likes on 211 Posts

Kipster: Plz explain yourself !! Identify what exactly you are referring to (front or rear brakes) Also what fluid is leaking & from where?
Maybe you should start your own thread !! Instead of hi-jacking this thread ! Also identify what vehicle & part etc. etc. you are working on...
There should be no fluid leaking from any brake related items !!! Identify this fluid plz !!

Hatchetface: The vent hose (approx. 20'' long) will extend freely from the rear diff connector upwards & will usually disappear into or behind some kind of cross frame that dose not get any direct water spray ! There should be a plastic insert in the end of it ! It will appear to plug this end but it dose not! If you take that so called plug out you will find it is slotted (usually 3 slots ! This allows that vent tube to breathe freely !!
Old 04-04-2021, 04:56 PM
Weenie Hut Junior Member

Thanks Steve83 and Maco. I've delved into the control panel and will update my profile soon. (Took longer so far than installing the front pads.) One slight complication, in addition to being a Nube here, is that I have 2 1996 F150's so I'll get that squared away as well.

I was referring to the OP's thread describing the "Unknown Hose" which I incorrectly described as a "Drain Hose." (Hey it was draining for me onto my driveway.) Also, it started only after I installed the front pads. Hence my hypothesis that pressure applied from up front worked its way thru the brake system and out that hose. Pics attached.
Attached Thumbnails unknown hose-img_7271.jpg   unknown hose-img_7273.jpg  

Last edited by Kipster; 04-04-2021 at 05:00 PM.
Old 04-04-2021, 05:29 PM

Received 237 Likes on 211 Posts

Kipster: I think you should check your rear diff. level (maybe tooo much oil in it) Building pressure or something?? Could even be low right now ??
I have never seen that breather hose even mildly wet on any of my trucks let alone drip/spew oil like yours seem to be doing !! (got 4 trks right now)
Just swapped out my 13 just last week both old & newer diff hoses drier than your dry rusted frame !! It just shouldn't leak...Yet alone spew as yours seem to do ??
It's a breather tube so it won't build any pressure !! I Can't even see it leaking if it was dragging on the roadway ??
If you stop & think about it ; that hose is above the smooth part of the axle & to one side of the spinning gears.....it does not get any splash there?

Last edited by maco; 04-04-2021 at 05:42 PM. Reason: info added
Old 04-04-2021, 06:49 PM
Weenie Hut Junior Member

Maybe I should switch crazy and stupid in my signature. I finally got it. Just because my rear diff. hose is connected to the little block holding the brake lines doesn't mean they are the brake lines. Thank for making me think gentlemen. I will have that diff. looked at.
Old 04-05-2021, 11:07 AM

If you read the link that you initially quoted, it's explained there. Yes, you should not drive other than straight to someone who can diagnose & repair that. There should be a breather cap/plug at the top of that hose to prevent insects from nesting/plugging the hose. That might be why it built up enough pressure to spray.

Quick Reply: unknown hose