Topic Sponsor

Good alignment shop? Hard to find.

Search this Thread

Old 05-02-2017, 08:13 AM

Received 11 Likes on 11 Posts
Default Good alignment shop? Hard to find.

I recently put new front springs on my 2WD 92 F150 and the steering feels a little squirrelly since. I figure it just needs an alignment since my new springs are a little over an inch longer than the old saggy ones that came out. I'm under the impression that the front end of this truck is adjustable, but the few local shops I've talked to keep talking about heating and bending the i- beams to align the front end. I keep declining and leave but...am I wrong? Is bending the i- beam the right way?
Old 05-02-2017, 08:28 AM

Received 489 Likes on 436 Posts

Bending? Run away from those people.

On top of the ball joint there is a camber bushing - the shop will most likely need to swap those out to get it aligned. You can purchase "adjustable" camber bushings but they are crap (this man's opinion). They will also adjust your tie rod sleeves (definitely) and maybe install caster adjusters on your radius arms (much less likely). Plan to spend upwards of $200 to get it all done.

When you call the shop, ask the guy if he has any experience aligning the 90's Ford TTB. Speak directly to the alignment technician. If the response you get is "huh?" or anything similar, hang up and try a new shop.
Old 05-02-2017, 03:37 PM

Received 11 Likes on 11 Posts
Question Ford Dealer ??

Well, couldn't find a shop that didn't want to bend the i-beam, so I called my local Ford dealer and they said they'd do an alignment for $90. I assuming that the dealer would have everything they need to get it aligned properly....right ?
Old 05-03-2017, 08:41 AM

Received 489 Likes on 436 Posts

After googling the whole idea of bending the I beams, apparently this is a thing that people do. I'd still run.

My guess is that the $90 from ford does not include the camber bushings or install - it is probably just a toe alignment that adjusts your tie rod sleeves. You are probably going to need a full bushing alignment. I would call them back and ask again.

Or maybe it is just cheaper on 2WD's but from what I have seen it takes about the same amount of labor.
Old 05-08-2017, 09:27 PM

Received 54 Likes on 49 Posts

I paid $250 for an alignment and camber bushing replacement. No need to bend I-beams anymore.
Old 05-10-2017, 11:18 PM

Received 28 Likes on 28 Posts

Originally Posted by VickMacky
I paid $250 for an alignment and camber bushing replacement. No need to bend I-beams anymore.
I paid about this much after one of those 2" hockey puck leveling things. They said they needed to go to the store and get a bunch of cambers until one of them was right. No they did not charge me for a bunch of camber bushings, just the correct one. It' wasn't a 4wd place so they didn't have all the right stuff on hand. Who stocks parts for 20+ year old trucks?
Old 05-10-2017, 11:40 PM

Received 64 Likes on 54 Posts

GOOD alignments seem hard to come by for more than just trucks. Most just want to do "toe and go" and get you out the door. Sucks.
Old 06-09-2017, 01:46 PM

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts
Default frt end alignment

on my 1996 I replaced the upper bushings with camber bushings that were available at NAPA. Its been over a year, maybe almost 2, but good tire wear, That was my ultimate goal.