Topic Sponsor

Brake master cylinder recommendation

Search this Thread

Old 06-05-2017, 02:22 PM

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

Default Brake master cylinder recommendation

I know Motorcraft is preferred but have others had success in rebuilding the stock Ford master? I see Raybestos sells what they call a "professional grade" rebuild kit for $28 (Rock auto).

I'd rather have a good rebuilt Ford part than a questionable aftermarket part. Trying to avoid paying $82 for the Motorcraft. Not sure about the quality of the aftermarket masters offered.

So, any success with rebuilding the Ford master or recommendations on Raybestos, AC Delco, Doorman, Cardone, Centric.....?

Thanks all.
Old 06-05-2017, 03:12 PM

Received 93 Likes on 91 Posts

I have had good luck with the motorcraft parts, and found the price is good for something safe and reliable.

I have also rebuilt many of them, and if you have the hone, someplace to R&R, clean it and bench bleed it...but now adays the labor is just not worth the savings.

Pay Ford, take part, install part, drive for another 20 years with good brakes.
Old 06-10-2017, 09:00 AM

Received 11 Likes on 11 Posts

I ended up damaging my master cylinder from pressure bleeding the system after replacing my front brakes, calipers, lines, etc. I needed a master fast, so got mine at Napa, seems decent enough, fit fine, works fine. Not sure if it'll last 25 years like the Motorcraft one but... does its job for now.
Old 06-10-2017, 10:03 AM

I got the Raybestos master from Rockauto. Going out to install it now. I'll report back.
Old 06-10-2017, 03:15 PM

Default Raybestos master cylinder installed.

Raybestos, made in China.....ugh. Removed the stock Ford master. Made in Japan by Tokico....what? I have no problem with Tokico, I know it's a good product. But I prefer USA made stuff.

Wouldn't be surprised if the Motorcraft master cylinder sold by Rock Auto is made overseas. Heck, the stock 1995 Ford master was.

You'll see in one of the photos a rust hole in the nut that threads into one of the outlets in the old Ford master. It was dry so I guess it didn't matter, just kind of odd.

The install went smooth. Bled the 4 corners and the proportional valve thing using Chris1's solo method. No fuss, no mess, worked good.

Also put a new sepentine belt on. Motorcraft, says "Made in USA" in bright white letters. Now that's what I like to see!
Attached Thumbnails Brake master cylinder recommendation-img_0213.jpg   Brake master cylinder recommendation-img_0215.jpg   Brake master cylinder recommendation-img_0217.jpg   Brake master cylinder recommendation-img_0218.jpg   Brake master cylinder recommendation-img_0219.jpg  

Brake master cylinder recommendation-img_0220.jpg  
Old 06-10-2017, 03:19 PM

Have no idea why photos 2-6 are upside down. I tried to "manage attachments" when I posted but no luck. Maybe one of you guys can help an old dunce like me.