Topic Sponsor

Camber bushings with inclined hole?

Search this Thread

Old 01-02-2019, 11:56 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Camber bushings with inclined hole?

Hey everyone!
I am doing a complete restoration on my 1990 F150 extended cab 2wd. Now I'm about to reassemble the frontend and bought solid +-3 degree camber bushings to correct for the longer than stock Moog 824 coil springs. The bushings are Mevotech MK8982 and the hole is inclined which doesn't seem correct to me... I know balljoints are made to turn and tilt, but it just looks weird how the upper one is pointing 30 degree away from the other... Are there different versions of those bushings?
Might need to change to different degree bushings anyway, after I have an alignment readout. Just want to make sure I'll buy the correct style and don't want to brake anything.
As I'm from Germany I have nobody around to ask and compare, so any recommendations are greatly appreciated
Old 01-02-2019, 10:02 PM
Martin

Received 257 Likes on 221 Posts

Those bushings are made that way to allow for a bit of caster adjustment. I used 3 1/2 degree for same thing but 3 degree should do the trick.
The following users liked this post:
Bratwurst (01-03-2019)
Old 01-03-2019, 07:08 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Thanks a lot, that's exactly what I needed to know
Old 01-03-2019, 08:43 PM

Received 1,731 Likes on 1,487 Posts

The angle of the bore is the only way to make the cam adjust the BJ position; the cam isn't large enough to bore it offcenter, so tilting it is the only way to move the ball in relation to the cam. The fact that caster also changes slightly is just an effect of rotating the cam; it's not the purpose of the camber cams.

If you installed springs that change the ride height, NOTHING will "correct" all the problems that creates. The TIB/TTB suspension does not tolerate ride height changes - it's too simple. The only way to lift these trucks "correctly" is with a lift SYSTEM (not "kit") engineered for that specific truck (chassis, engine, 2/4WD, WB, tire size...) & lift height.

You can't blindly guess which cams the truck needs. Put the originals back in, finish whatever mods you're going to do, and then get the alignment checked by a pro - that's the only way to get any measurement of what cams it needs to get back CLOSE to "aligned".

Avoid buying solid cams - adjustable (2-piece) cams are far more cost-effective because you don't have to buy new ones every time you get the truck aligned.

Quick Reply: Camber bushings with inclined hole?