Topic Sponsor

Automatic vs. Manual Locking Hubs

Old 11-08-2017, 05:14 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Question Automatic vs. Manual Locking Hubs

I have a 1996 Ford F150 XL 4.9 2WD and I need to replace the front rotors, calipers, and pads. I'm sure this is a total noob question but how can I tell if my front disk brakes have the automatic locking hubs or the manual locking hubs? From what I've been seeing it seems like the automatic locking hubs are on the 4X4 variants and those hubs have screws on the outside of the dust cap. I just want to be sure I have the manual locking hubs before I shell out money for the wrong hub locknut socket. Any help is much appreciated, thanks!
Old 11-08-2017, 06:01 PM

Received 8 Likes on 7 Posts

If it's 2wd you don't have either, just a dust cap over wheel bearings. You can't install them either unless you've got 4wd rotors, but those won't fit a 2wd
Old 11-08-2017, 08:29 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by ALTAJAVA
If it's 2wd you don't have either, just a dust cap over wheel bearings. You can't install them either unless you've got 4wd rotors, but those won't fit a 2wd
Well, that makes things easy! I realized I was looking at the 4X4 section instead of the 2WD section of the Chilton manual for pulling the bearings. Thanks!

Search this Thread