Topic Sponsor

Shocks

Search this Thread

Old 11-06-2017, 01:05 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Shocks

I had stock ones I believe and replaced with Monroe Gas shocks there yellow in color, noticed difference but truck still drives like a boat to me, wondering if anyone has experience going from monroes to somehing stiffer and is it worth spending the money or will the difference be marginal
Old 11-08-2017, 06:28 PM

Received 8 Likes on 7 Posts

Originally Posted by 96f150eddiebauer
I had stock ones I believe and replaced with Monroe Gas shocks there yellow in color, noticed difference but truck still drives like a boat to me, wondering if anyone has experience going from monroes to somehing stiffer and is it worth spending the money or will the difference be marginal
Is this your first F series?
Old 11-08-2017, 07:10 PM

Yes it is, is this just how it's gonna be, I'm just wondering if it's worth paying 300$ or so, to get a little bit better ride
Old 11-08-2017, 07:38 PM

Received 489 Likes on 436 Posts

Do you have sway bars?

Mine drove like a boat with no sway bars attached.
Old 11-08-2017, 07:48 PM

Received 5 Likes on 2 Posts

Yes it is, is this just how it's gonna be, I'm just wondering if it's worth paying 300$ or so, to get a little bit better ride
Well, I can't tell you if it is worth it or not, but I bought the Bilsteins and put them on my 94. They are good shocks and I like them but I am not sure they are worth the cost differential. I still get some sway but not unexpected given that it is a truck. However, the ride is much better than the 23 year old originals that I took off. My guess is that the difference is indeed marginal.

My $.02 worth.
Old 11-08-2017, 08:00 PM

Originally Posted by BLDTruth
Do you have sway bars?

Mine drove like a boat with no sway bars attached.
It does have a sway bar, I'm wondering if replacing all the bushings on the sway bar might have an effect, but I think it's just how it drives and that's fine I think it has the polyurethane bushings on the radius arm, I'm also thinking about possibly changing the pivot bushings on the i beams but haven't looked at all that stuff to see if it's even bad, overall I bought the truck with 135k on it and it drives real nice, I have replaced the ball joints upper and lower both sides, and drag links and tie rod ends, also whee bearings and brakes so I pretty much rebuilt the whole front end except for going through all the bushings but like I said not sure if they are even bad
Old 11-08-2017, 08:01 PM

Originally Posted by irianjim
Well, I can't tell you if it is worth it or not, but I bought the Bilsteins and put them on my 94. They are good shocks and I like them but I am not sure they are worth the cost differential. I still get some sway but not unexpected given that it is a truck. However, the ride is much better than the 23 year old originals that I took off. My guess is that the difference is indeed marginal.

My $.02 worth.
Have you ever ran Monroes?
Old 11-08-2017, 08:58 PM

Received 5 Likes on 2 Posts

Have you ever ran Monroes?
No, I haven't but there are guys on the forum that have and are pleased with them. There are lots of threads on the forum about shocks - just enter "shocks" or "Monroe" in the search function on the 1987-1996 f150 section and you can see what others have to say about Monroe, Bilstein and many others. I looked and read all of them and chose to do the Bilsteins. I am really pleased with them but they were about $350 on Amazon and I expected to be wowed and I wasn't. They are fine and I am getting improved handling and a good ride, but I question if I really got value by spending so much. Look at what the others have to say and go from there.
Old 11-08-2017, 09:30 PM

Originally Posted by irianjim
No, I haven't but there are guys on the forum that have and are pleased with them. There are lots of threads on the forum about shocks - just enter "shocks" or "Monroe" in the search function on the 1987-1996 f150 section and you can see what others have to say about Monroe, Bilstein and many others. I looked and read all of them and chose to do the Bilsteins. I am really pleased with them but they were about $350 on Amazon and I expected to be wowed and I wasn't. They are fine and I am getting improved handling and a good ride, but I question if I really got value by spending so much. Look at what the others have to say and go from there.
right on, ya I read all those but just wanted to see if it was just me not having driven too many trucks especially from that year, when I'm ridin down the street the ride is fine, it's Turing into a drive way where it feels kinda bouncy but I can live with it,
Old 11-08-2017, 10:53 PM

Received 32 Likes on 32 Posts

do you have front and rear sway bars?